Federal student loans are available to most students regardless of income and provide a range of benefits and repayment options, which private educational loans are not required to provide. Student loans are a borrowed source of money that must be eventually paid back, unless discharged through a federal loan forgiveness program.
CSU, Chico is part of the Federal Direct Student Loan Program, also known as the William D. Ford Direct Loan Program. In this loan program, long-term, low-interest loans, called Stafford loans, are borrowed directly from the U.S. Department of Education, with the loan proceeds delivered through CSU, Chico. You can find out more information on Direct Loans at www.studentloans.gov.
The Federal Perkins Loan is a low interest loan for students with exceptional need. Funding is extremely limited.
Direct PLUS loans are available to your parents if you are a dependent, undergraduate student enrolled at least half time (six units or more). Your parent may borrow an amount up to the cost of attendance minus any other aid you are receiving.
Direct PLUS Loans are available to graduate students (master’s level), enrolled at least half time (four units or more), who have reached their annual limit in Stafford Direct Loans, and have unmet need.
If additional funding is needed due to educational expenses that cannot be met by federal student loan programs and family resources, or to loss of eligibility for aid programs, alternative/private educational loans may be an option.
The Short-Term Loan Program provides short-term financial assistance of up to $500 to CSU, Chico students for expenses related to their University attendance. Short-term loans must be repaid within 90 days.
Other Loan Information:
- Federal Direct Stafford Loan
- First-time Direct Loan borrowers are required to complete the following:
- Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan
- When you graduate or leave CSU, Chico, and you have received a federal Direct Stafford and/or a Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan:
- Federal Direct PLUS Loan for Parents
- For parents when they first take out a Direct PLUS Loan for Parents:
- Perkins Loans
- First-time Perkins Loan borrowers are required to complete:
- Exit Counseling - Upon graduating or withdrawing from CSU, Chico. Contact Student Financial Services, SSC 230 for instructions.
- Assumption Program of Loans for Education (APLE)
- Consolidation Loans
- Loan Dispute Intervention
- Alternative Loans: Selecting a Lender
- Computer Budget Adjustment