Computer Budget Adjustment
According to federal financial aid regulations, the cost of a computer is considered an educational expense. The maximum one-time computer allowance is $1,500 for all majors except Graphic Design, Interior Design, Music + Music Industry + Technology, and Recording Arts.
The costs of specialized computer bundles necessary for Graphic Design, Interior Design, Music + Music Industry + Technology, and Recording Arts majors have been documented by the academic departments.
- Graphic Design - $2660 (includes applicable fees and taxes)
- Interior Design - $2551 (includes applicable fees and taxes)
- Music + Music Industry + Technology - $2,516 (includes applicable fees and taxes)
- Recording Arts - $3904 (includes applicable fees and taxes)
- Your budget will be increased by the standard amount of $1,500. If you would like a budget increase over $1,500, you must make an appointment with a financial aid advisor and bring:
- 1) the receipt for your computer purchase
- 2) a letter from your Department certifying that the computer bundle purchased is required for your major
We can add up to this amount to your cost of attendance (budget) which could increase your loan eligibility. Note: We are required to verify your major before processing a budget increase.
- The source of loan funds for a computer is the Federal Direct Stafford Loan program. If you have already borrowed your annual or aggregate maximum of Stafford loans, you will not be eligible to borrow more for a computer purchase.
- You might already be eligible for additional Stafford loan without a budget increase.
How to Figure Your Loan Eligibility
- Access your Student Center.
- Under the finances section, click on View Financial Aid.
- Click on 2013 Aid Year.
- Click on View Budget Details. Your loan eligibility will be determined by your remaining need as well as annual and aggregate loan limits set by the federal government. See: Federal Direct Stafford Loan.
- If your remaining need can accommodate your computer expense, please submit a Stafford loan application instead of this form. Download a Stafford application.
- Please contact our office if you need help understanding your loan eligibility.
If you need your 2012-2013 budget increased for a computer, please submit a Computer Budget Adjustment form. A Stafford loan application is not necessary.