AWARD GUIDE 2014-15 (pdf)
financial aid award,
The Short-Term Loan Program provides low-cost, short-term financial assistance to CSU, Chico students for expenses related to their University attendance. Short-term loans are available depending on availability of funds, and are made possible through the generosity of donors who have provided these funds. Short-term loan availability is dependent upon students repaying their loans within 90 days.
Terms of Loan
- The maximum loan is $500, from which a $5 service charge is deducted. No interest is charged if the loan is repaid on time.
- You may receive only one short-term loan per semester.
Eligibility for Short-term Loans
To be eligible to receive a short-term loan, a student:
- must be regularly admitted to the University and enrolled in the current fall or spring terms. Students admitted through the Center for Regional and Continuing Education or Open University, and not regularly admitted to the University, are ineligible;
- must not have a faculty or staff appointment at CSU, Chico;
- must not have an outstanding short-term loan;
- must not have already received a loan from this program in the current term;
- must not have unresolved student record holds which affect eligibility for this service, such as unpaid university balances.
Financial aid students, please note the following repayment restrictions:
- Fall short-term loans: Financial aid students who have not repaid a short-term loan from the fall semester will have the loan amount deducted from their spring disbursement of funds.
- Spring short-term loans: All spring short-term loans must be repaid within 90 days but also prior to receipt of financial aid for the next year. Federal regulations require that financial aid funds not be used to pay prior year charges. Therefore, short-term loans borrowed in spring cannot be repaid by the following fall disbursement. Financial aid will not be disbursed until prior year charges are paid.
Short-term loans are available only during the Fall and Spring Semester. There are no short-term loans available during Winter Intersession or Summer Term. Short-term loans are processed twice a week, for disbursement and pick-up Wednesdays and Fridays after 8:30 a.m., at Student Financial Services, in SSC 230. To confirm your disbursement date, go to the Finances section of your Student Center and select Account Activity in the drop-down menu under Finances. Once you see the loan posted, the check should be available after 8:30 am on the following day. Checks not picked up within ten days will be cancelled.
Please note: Processing of loan requests is completed according to date of request and as funds permit. Individual requests that are incomplete or include incorrect information will not be processed. Short-term monies are available as previous loans are repaid and the funds are replenished.