What is FitU?
- A 8-10 week program that includes individual sessions with nutrition and exercise adherence mentors
- Individualized nutrition mentoring that is based on a non-diet approach. Mentors guide clients towards developing a healthier relationship with food
- Individualized exercise adherence mentoring focusing on identifying strategies to overcome individual’s motivational barriers to regular physical activity and assisting in the development of lifelong, enjoyable exercise programs
Where is FitU?
- Office located in Yolo Hall 219
When is FitU?
- Sign up at the beginning of each semester
Who can join FitU?
- Program open to all CSUC students
- Mentoring conducted by trained peer mentors (undergraduate and graduate students)
According to a Spring 2008 survey…
- 70% of CSUC students are interested in individual nutrition and physical activity counseling. That’s more than 12,500 students!
- 39% of CSUC students are overweight or obese
- Half of students indicate decreased physical activity levels since high school, 24% indicate a “considerable decrease” in physical activity levels
- Over 8,000 CSUC students do not exercise regularly
- Almost half (44%) of students are unsatisfied with their current body weight
- 59% of CSUC students are not competent eaters, reporting negative attitudes towards food
Program directed and supervised by:
Dawn Clifford, Ph.D, RD Clinical Nutrition, Dept. Of Nutrition & Food Sciences
Linda Keeler, Ed.D, CC-AASP, Sport and Exercise Psychology Dept. of Kinesiology