Welcome to the Chico Great Debate
Save the Date!
The next Chico Great Debate is on April 12, 2013 in the City Council Chambers. The Great Debate topic this Spring will focus on Water and Agriculture Policy.
The purpose of the Chico Great Debate is to bring together members of the campus and community to investigate and engage in dialogue around a “hot topic” that has the potential to divide us. The entire day of presentations and debates stresses active listening, respectful exchange, and collaborative civic learning through civil discourse. For the second time there will be students from both CSU Chico and Butte College participating. This emerging partnership places students from speech courses at Butte College alongside their peers from CSU Chico. We are excited about this new cooperation between our campuses.
Throughout the day, students from various Communication Studies classes give presentations and conduct debates focused on a chosen "hot topic." In the evening, at 6:30, there is a formal debate by CSU, Chico Debate Team members and stakeholder Community Members.
Previous Debate Issues
- Fall 2012: Government Spending and Taxation
- Spring 2012: Issues Surrounding Freedom of Speech
- Fall 2011: Would policies to increase teacher accountability through merit pay and/or ending tenure improve K-12 education in the State of California?
- Spring 2011: Should California Increase Restrictions on Immigration?
- Fall 2010: Should California Repeal the Global Warming Solutions Act?
- Spring 2010: Should California Legalize Marijuana?