(near Bidwell Mansion)
College of Natural Sci.
Chico, CA 95929-0545
Mission, Vision, Strategic Priorities
The Gateway Science Museum inspires the exploration of science and natural history in our region and beyond.
The Gateway Science Museum envisions an environment where people of all ages and demographics are inspired by science. We strive to be a leader in engaging youth in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM). We aspire to provide a stimulating experience for visitors as they grow into adulthood. We are devoted to the advancement of science literacy and life-long learning.
The Gateway Science Museum serves as a portal to learning and sharing, connecting university and community in a strong partnership. As educators, we champion creative and critical thinking, encourage curiosity, and inspire visitors of all ages in the exploration of science. As a gateway, we celebrate and heighten awareness of the unique natural history of our region. Through steadfast partnerships in education and outreach, we persist in efforts that instill stewardship and sustainability. (Ratified 2/5/2013)
- Expand the public’s interest in and deeper understanding of science and technology;
- Foster collaboration with CSU, Chico faculty and students to engage in meaningful exploration of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM);
- Facilitate STEM learning, especially in diverse and underserved communities;
- Provide interactive learning experiences for children in preschool and elementary grades;
- Inspire young people to become future scientists, engineers, medical and technology professionals, with a focus on grades 4-14;
- Engage life-long learners in activities that promote science literacy, stewardship, sustainable practices;
- Present high quality exhibits and museum displays, that collectively serve all segments of our audience;
- Produce engaging science educational activities and programming to meet a diverse audience;
- Increase public awareness of the value of Northern California’s natural history through exhibits, outreach, and education;
- Ensure economic stability and organizational strength for the museum.