Graduate Programs

Graduate studies leading the to the master of science (MS) degree are available in both environmental sciences and geosciences. An option in hydrology/hydrogeology is offered under the geosciences degree. The MS degree programs offer advanced studies in all of the areas available as undergraduate programs. Topics available for graduate study include geology, hydrologic sciences, applied ecology, environmental chemistry, atmospheric sciences, and earth resource science. In addition to 30 units of graduate coursework, students also complete a thesis research project under the guidance of a major advisor and faculty committee.

A program beginning in fall 2007 is the professional science master’s (PSM) degree. This program requires 36 units of coursework, a summer internship with an agency or business, and a professional report on the internship.

Department Requirements

All requirements for the degree are to be completed within five years of the end of the semester of enrollment in the oldest course applied toward the degree. Entering students must have a satisfactory grade point average as specified in "Admission to Master's Degree Programs" in the University Catalog. Students must be accepted by the department as well as the Office of Graduate Studies. An acceptable baccalaureate degree is required in one of the natural sciences, engineering, or mathematics from an accredited institution, or an equivalent approved by the Office of Graduate Studies. The prospective student must have sufficient background to undertake a graduate program in their respective program. In particular, the option in hydrology/hydrogeology requires a year of college chemistry, mathematics, and physics.

Please see our Graduate Students page for more information!