26th Annual Student Research Competition Winners
The Twenty-sixth annual CSU, Chico Student Research Competition was held on Tuesday, March 6.
Ten contestants participating in the competition were selected as winners and will now continue on as CSU, Chico delegates to the prestigious system-wide competition.
Congratulations to each presenter, and a resounding applause for their faculty mentor.
- Michael Fitzpatrick, Philosophy (BA). “Unnatural Moral Concepts: ‘Natural’ and ‘Unnatural’ in Popular Moral Discourse.” Mentor: Dr. Robert Jones, Philosophy
- Maija Glasier-Lawson, Anthropology/Archaeology (MA). “Archaeological Explorers: Using Anthropology to Encourage Cultural and Environmental Sustainability.” Mentor: Dr. Jesse Dizard, Anthropology
- Jasmine Linabary, Communication Studies (MA). “Some Day My Prints Will Come: An Exploration of Female Journalism Students’ Vocational Expectations.” Mentor: Dr. Susan Avanzino, Communication Studies
- Melissa Ha, Biological Sciences (MS). “Temperal Variation in Pollinator-mediated Interactions between Clarkia unguiculata and Its Neighbors Varied Temporally.” Mentor: Dr. Christopher Ivey, Biology
- Joanna Bloese, Agriculture (BS). “Efficacy of a Novel Baited Trap at Capturing Gravid Navel Orangeworm (Amyelois transitella).” Mentor: Dr. Elizabeth A Boyd, Agriculture
- Nicole Habecker, Biological Sciences (MS). “Reproductive Isolation in Mimulus.” Mentor: Dr. Christopher T. Ivey, Biology
- Juan Araujo Sarinana, Biological Sciences (MS). “miR-191: Possible Regulator of Pancreatic Beta Cell Stress Response.” Mentor: Dr. David Keller, Biology
- Nicholas Vierra, Microbiology (BS). “3’ RACE of a Low-Abundance MicroRNA in Pancreatic B-cells.” Mentor: Dr. David Keller, Biology
- Dustin Bakkie, Kinesiology (MS). “Striking Technique and Leg Stiffness in Barefoot Running.” Mentor: Dr. Cheng Tu Hsieh, Kinesiology
- Melissa Filice, Psychology (BA). “Late Adolescents’ Perceptions and Preferences Regarding Gender Intensified Peers.” Mentor: Dr. David Hibbard, Psychology