Monday - Friday
8:00am - 5:00pm
CSU Student Research Competition
THE 28TH ANNUAL CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY STUDENT RESEARCH COMPETITION
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, CHICO
PROCEDURES AND GUIDELINES
Student Research Application - applications are now closed for 2014.
The competition is held to promote excellence in undergraduate and graduate scholarly research and creative activity by recognizing outstanding student accomplishments.
WHO MAY APPLY
Undergraduate or graduate students currently enrolled at CSUC as well as alumni/alumnae who received their degrees in spring, summer, or fall 2013 are eligible. The research presented should be appropriate to the student’s discipline and career goals. Proprietary research is excluded. Presentations from all disciplines are invited. The California State University, Chico, steering committee reserves the right to combine or subdivide these categories or to move an entrant from one category to another, as numbers of submissions necessitate. The ten categories are as follows:
- Behavioral and Social Sciences
- Biological and Agricultural Sciences
- Business, Economics, and Public Administration
- Creative Arts and Design (creative projects are welcome-see “Competition Guidelines”)
- Engineering and Computer Science
- Health, Nutrition, and clinical Sciences
- Humanities and Letters
- Physical and Mathematical Sciences
A campus delegation may include up to ten entries in the ten categories. A small team of students making a single presentation counts as a single entry but each student participant must fill out the Student Delegate Registration Form with demographic and contact information.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit the Application and written Summary to the Office of Graduate Studies by Wednesday, February 19, 2014 by 4:00pm.
The rules governing the written Summary are as follows:
- The summary must include the name(s) of the student(s) and the title of the presentation.
- The narrative may not exceed five doubled-spaced pages. Use fonts and margins that ensure legibility.
- Appendices (bibliography, graphs, photographs, or other supplementary materials) may not exceed three pages.
- Research that has human or animal subjects involvement must have appropriate institutional review.
- It is expected that the student will not make an oral presentation by simply reading directly from this summary.
Students will present their work orally before a jury and an audience. Students will compete by discipline category and, where feasible, by class standing (undergraduate/graduate), as described above in “Who May Apply.” Each student will have ten minutes for an oral presentation of his or her work and five minutes to listen and respond to juror and audience questions. All entrants may use audiovisual materials as appropriate, and the presenters are encouraged to use delivery techniques that promote interaction with the audience. Entrants in the Creative Arts and Design category may present an audio and/or visual record of a performance they have given or a work they have created; their oral presentation should focus on the rational and historical context underlying their interpretation of the material.
Each entry (oral presentation plus written summary) will be judged on the following:
- Clarity of purpose
- Appropriateness of methodology
- Interpretation of results
- Value of the research or creative activity
- Ability of the presenter to articulate the research or creative activity
- Organization of the material presented
- Presenter’s ability to handle questions from the jury and general audience
As many as ten local delegates will be selected to participate at the prestigious system-wide competition being held at California State University, East Bay on May 2nd and 3rd, 2014. Cash prizes will be awarded to the outstanding presenter and runner-up in each category of the undergraduate and graduate divisions. Lodging and travel expenses are funded through the Office of Graduate Studies and IRA funds.
Questions should be directed to Dr. Sharon Barrios, CSU-Chico campus coordinator by email email@example.com or telephone 530-898-4473.