Master's Commencement Ceremony
Commencement for master's graduates is held annually at the end of the spring semester. The formal ceremony is typically held at Laxson Auditorium on Friday evening of final exam week. The ceremony recognizes the completion of an advanced degree through a traditional hooding ceremony where hoods are draped over the heads and down the backs of robed graduates.
Graduates from the preceding summer and fall, including applicants for spring graduation who have completed all requirements including their culminating activity by the April deadline, are eligible to participate. Students who qualify to participate in the ceremony will receive an e-mail invitation via their university e-mail address during the last two weeks of April.
Students wishing to participate in the ceremony must maintain their current e-mail address with the University to ensure receipt of the invitation.
Space is limited. Students and faculty must register with the Office of Graduate Studies to participate in graduate commencement.
Spring 2013 Commencement Ceremony
California State University, Chico's annual commencement for master's graduates, will be held on Friday, May 24th, 2013 in Laxson Auditorium. Master's graduates from every college will be hooded in two special ceremonies.
Graduates from summer and fall 2012, as well as candidates for spring 2013 graduation meeting all degree requirements, are eligible to participate. Students qualified to participate will receive an invitation in their Wildcat e-mail in April 2013. Students must register on or before May 3rd to participate. The e-mail invitation includes a reservation form for the graduate to reserve tickets for their guests in Laxson Auditorium. This e-mail invitation is the only way tickets can be reserved. Each student is eligible for a maximum of seven (7) tickets for their guests if the number of students participating 2013 is similar to the past. Hence, the importance to submit your reservation form as soon as possible (after receiving the invitation to register in April) so the Office of Graduate Studies can determine the actual number of tickets available for distribution.
Commencement Ceremony Date and Time
Friday, May 24, 2013 at 4:30 p.m. (students assemble at 3:45 p.m.)
- Communication and Education
- Engineering, Computer Science, and Construction Management
Friday, May 24, 2013 at 7:30 p.m. (students assemble at 6:45 p.m.)
- Behavioral and Social Sciences
- Humanities and Fine Arts
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- Natural Sciences
What You Need To Do Before the Ceremonies
- Apply for Graduation
- Complete the Culminating Activity
- Register to Participate in Commencement Ceremony and Reserve Your Tickets Deadline: May 3, 2013
Students will receive an invitation via Wildcat e-mail to register to walk in April after the completion of their culminating activity. Students then have until May 3rd to submit their registration. If the registration is not submitted by May 3rd, students will not be permitted to participate in the graduate ceremonies.
Commencement Day Instructions
Information for Faculty
- Faculty registration: Faculty will be seated behind the platform party on the stage in Laxson. If you would like to join us on May 24 in academic regalia, please RSVP no later than May 10 to Marsha Osborne. (email@example.com) Please indicate which ceremony you would like to attend. A reception will follow each ceremony.
Information for Families & Guests
- Logistics: Getting to Chico, Parking and Maps
- Live Webcast - Family and friends can watch you graduate LIVE via Internet Webcast here
- The Meaning of the Commencement Ceremony
- Master's Hood: Colors For Each Field of Study
Note: all University and City parking regulations are enforced during the ceremonies.
- GradImages: Graduation Portraits. GradImages is the official photographer for our Commencement. Proofs will be sent to your home and via email within three to five days after graduation. Pictures can be ordered online, by phone, or by mail. GradImages can be contacted at 800-261-2576 or through the website.
Registering your graduate with GradImages provides them with the information they need to deliver your graduation proofs to you in a timely manner. Providing an accurate mailing address allows them to get proofs to you on the first try. You may also provide them with email addresses of up to six friends and family members so they can help celebrate your accomplishment.
- CSU, Chico Graduation Portraits
- Final Clearance for Degree and Receipt of the Diploma
- Life After Graduation
- Undergraduate Commencement
- 2013 Special Celebrations
- Exceptions to Walk in Commencement Procedure
All commencement-related information will be provided on this website and via e-mail to all students who have applied for graduation and have completed all graduation requirements. The information provided is subject to change. Please check back frequently.