CSU, Chico Greek Life History at a Glance
Alpha Chi was the first Greek Lettered (fraternal) organization at CSU, Chico. The organization was founded on October 29, 1918 as a local sorority. Iota Sigma was the first local fraternity on campus, established in 1922. Since then, Greek Life has grown exponentially throughout the decades changing the face of campus life at CSU, Chico.
The first nationally recognized sorority was Pi Kappa Sigma (1925) the sorority was absorbed by Sigma Kappa in 1959.
The first nationally recognized fraternities were Delta Sigma Phi and Phi Kappa Tau, which were chartered in the late 1950s.
The first Historically Black fraternal organization at CSU, Chico was Kappa Alpha Psi (October 23, 1981).
The first Latino-based fraternal organization at CSU, Chico was Lambda Theta Nu (March 11, 1986).
The first multicultural fraternal organization at CSU, Chico was Epsilon Sigma Rho (March 25, 1990).
For over 80 years fraternities and sororities have established themselves as a key fixture in the Chico community. Chapters have come and gone, but Greek life remains as a thriving entity of leadership at CSU, Chico.