Itinerary for SF Field Trip
Download this itinerary
(Adobe Acrobat Format)
Wednesday, October 29, Fall 2003
- 7:00 Be at the east end of Holt Hall to ride buses to
Walnut Creek BART station. Donuts, bagels and juice at about 9:00
at Dunigan rest stop.
- 10:00 Catch the SF-Daly City BART train. One comes every
15 minutes. The fare will be about $4.00. Bring crisp $1.00
- 10:30 Disembark at the Embarcadero Exit, the first exit
after the Trans-Bay tube. Then make these four stops following
- After disembarking at the Embarcadero exit, go left up the
Drumm-Spear St. escalator. You are at the Cable Car Terminal.
Just north is the Hyatt Regency. Go into the Hyatt Regency and
take the escalator to the main lobby on the second floor. Spend
about 15 minutes or so here gathering data for your work sheet.
Then look at the Embarcadero Plaza outside the Hyatt to your
right. It is between the Hyatt and the Bay. Does it work as
a public plaza in the sense that the public is using it?
- Walk up California Street about four blocks to the 400 block.
At 400 California Street look at the Bank of California. Go
in, look around and up at the coffered ceiling. Gather data
for your work sheet. At 485 California Street inspect the Security
Pacific Bank in the same way.
- If you want a cable car ride, go back to the Cable Car Terminal
and catch the cable car to Grace Cathedral at 1100 California
Street; the cost will beat least $2.00. Otherwise walk on up
California Street to Grace Cathedral -- about a 15 minute fast
walk. On the way:
- Stand by the "Heart of a Banker" sculpture on
the plaza in front of the Bank of America and look across
the street to the Fireman's Fund Building, designed by Philip
Johnson. Look to the top. This is Post-modern.
- Look at old St. Mary's Church at the corner of Grant
and California, which is at the entrance to Chinatown.
- Look south on Grant Street at the post-modern Marriotts
Hotel down on Market Street. This is more Post-modern. What
makes a building Post-modern as opposed to Modern?
- After leaving Grace Cathedral, you may want to eat your bag
lunch in Huntington Park across the street. What you don't eat
the pigeons will. Then go back down California Street, the way
you came, to Taylor Street. Turn south (right) on Taylor. Proceed
five blocks to Geary Street. Turn left on Geary and eventually
on your right about mid-block you will find the Geary Theatre.
- 1:45 You must be assembled as a class for entrance to
the theater where we will see Samuel Beckett's Waiting for
We have to go in as a group because
we may have to check all backpacks, cameras and recording devices
as a group. You will not be allowed to take food or drink into
- 5:15 After the play, we meet in the lobby of the theater
as a group to reclaim our belongings.if necessary, and to get
some directional orientation. You are on your own with several
other students until 7:30 to
sight-see and get dinner. You may want to go to Chinatown where
you should be able to find a Chinese restaurant with big tables
and reasonable prices. To do so continue east on Post street
several blocks to Grant Street. Go north (left) on Grant. In
four blocks you will be in Chinatown. Be sure to stay in groups.
Exercise good sense. Be smart. A trip to the morgue, hospital,
or police station is not part of our itinerary.
- 7:30 At the Powell and Market Street BART station take
the Daly City-Concord train back to Walnut Creek. (If you miss
this train we will have to wait twenty minutes for you at the
other end because trains run only every twenty minutes this
of night.) Again the cost will be about $4.00 and you will need
$1.00 bills and change.
- 8:00 Board vans at Walnut Creek BART station for trip
back to Chico.
Details to Remember:
- Be at the east end of Holt Hall at 7:00am.
- Lunch: Bring a sack lunch and something to drink. If
you live in a dorm, you can have your dorm prepare you one, if
you notify the dorm early enough.
- Money: Bring a minimum of $8.00 in $1.00 bills or quarters
for BART. Change machines will not accept $10 or $20 bills.
you want to ride the cable car up California Street you will
need another $2.00. Bring money for at least one dinner in San
- Clothing: You will not be able to change after we leave
Walnut Creek until we return there, so start the day in versatile
clothes and carry whatever you'll need for the whole day. Wear
comfortable walking shoes; there are about four miles of walking,
some of it on very steep hills. Women should not wear short skirts;
in the neighborhood through which we might be walking, short skirts
say "hooker." Men should not wear short skirts either.
If it looks like rain, wear or bring appropriate clothing such
as a poncho or rain coat.
- Safety: Stick together in groups of at least two or
three and use common sense. We repeat: the hospital, the police
station and the morgue are not on our itinerary.
- Be on time.
- Always be with someone.
- No drugs or drinking. Anyone caught doing either will face
- Act as civilized adults ought to act.