Evelyn G. Narad Health Science Scholarships
The Department of Health and Community Services announces the Evelyn G. Narad Health Science Scholarship
Health Education majors are invited to apply for the Evelyn G. Narad Health Science Scholarship. This endowed scholarship of $300 will be awarded each academic year. The goal of the scholarship is to encourage interest in diabetes education as a career.
To qualify for this scholarship, you must:
- Have an interest in diabetes education
- Be a Health Science major with an option in Health Education
- Be at least a Junior by the Fall semester the application is being completed
- Have a CSU, Chico GPA of 3.0 or above
- Complete the CSU, Chico scholarship application online at http://www.csuchico.edu/fa/scholarships/csuChico.shtml
- Complete the HCSV supplemental application (pdf, docx)
Evelyn Narad was a graduate of Hunter College and received the master’s degree from New York University. In 1973, after a career as a school and community health educator, she moved to California. Soon after, she was diagnosed with diabetes. Because she found little information available to diabetics, she became a diabetes educator and developed educational programs to help people live with the disease.
After serving as president of the Sonoma County Chapter of the American Diabetes Association, she co-founded the Diabetes Society of Sonoma County. She retired after serving many years on the diabetes board but was named director-emerita for her dedication and many contributions to the organization. In 2001, she died of complications from diabetes, a disease that directed her life for 28 years.
Upon her passing, her family and friends decided to fund a scholarship for seniors in Health Science with the Health Education option, who have an interest in diabetes education.