Message from the Dean
Every student who comes to CSU, Chico will take one or more courses in the College of Humanities and Fine Arts.Taking a course or two—or pursuing a major or a minor in one of our eight departments and various programs--will certainly strengthen your college preparation by giving you solid critical thinking and writing skills, cultural literacy, and an eye and ear for music, the arts, and theatrical performance.
But the real gift that we hope you take from your time with us is a first-class and rigorous introduction to the subjects that our 200 faculty teach and love.
- Read a life–changing novel in one of our literature classes—or start your life’s work as a writer in a creative writing class.
- Study Renaissance art or printmaking in our Art Department; read the classics of Western philosophy—or Islam or Buddhism or Christianity in our Philosophy or Religious Studies Departments.
- Take part in a jazz ensemble, band, or choral group through the Music Department.
- Hone your skills at Japanese or French or Arabic (and four other languages) in our Foreign Languages Department in preparation for a year’s study abroad.
- Develop from our history department a nuanced understanding of the context and forces that led to WWII or the Vietnam War.
- Learn from our theater faculty why Oedipus Rex is still—after more than 2400 years--considered one of the greatest plays in the world.
These and hundreds of other opportunities for self–discovery, in–depth inquiry, writing, international travel, internships, scintillating discussion, field trips, and explorations of our place in community and the larger world await you in this college. But don’t take my word for it. Check out the class schedule; ask other students for recommendations; visit a teacher who seems interested in what turns you on; and then sign up for a class—or more. I guarantee you that it will change your view of the world, your future aspirations, your sense of yourself, and the quality of your years in this community.
Welcome to Chico State!
College of Humanities and Fine Arts
View our Mission Statement