Quick Facts about HIST

The Department of History provides students with knowledge about the origins and development of peoples in the past, and develops their ability to conduct research, analyze evidence, and express defensible conclusions orally and in writing.

 History majors will be prepared for successful professional careers as educators, journalists, lawyers, entrepreneurs, civil servants, and historians in government and private agencies.

 The Department offers public lectures and hosts the annual Cowden Memorial Lecture Series and occasional Roundtable Discussions.

The History Department offers an array of programs at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.

  • Social Science Credential Option
  • General History Option
  • Master of Arts in History
  • Minor in History
  • Certificate in Public History

 The Department’s internship program provides students with the practical experience in local museums, libraries, and public archives that prepares them for jobs in public agencies as well as business.

Professor Kate Transchel awarded Outstanding Faculty Advisor for 2014-2015

-Since 1999, Dr. Transchel has been researching modern day human trafficking around the world. 
-Besides for working as a professor of History at CSU Chico, Dr. Transchel provides trainings for various branches of the military as well as the state department, on domestic and international human trafficking 
-She also serves as an expert witness on human trafficking from Moldova in Federal Asylum hearings.

Outstanding faculty have published on a wide range of subject matter including:

Professor Robert Cottrell - Modern American Lives: Individuals and Issues in American History Since 1945 (M.E. Sharpe, 2008)

Professor Stephen Lewis - The Ambivalent Revolution: Forging State and Nation in Chiapas, 1910-1945 (New Mexico, 2005).

Professor Robert Tinkler - James Hamilton of South Carolina (LSU, 2004)

Professor Laird Easton - Journey to the Abyss: The Diaries of Count Harry Kessler, 1880-1918 (Knopf, 2011)

Professor Jason Nice - Sacred History and National Identity: Comparisons Between Early Modern Wales and Brittany 2009

Professor Michael Magliari - John Bidwell and California: The Life and Writings of a Pioneer 1841 - 1900 (2003)

Professor James Matray - The Reluctant Crusade: American Foreign Policy in Korea, 1941-1950

Professor Jeffery Livingston - Swallowed by Globalism: John M. Vorys and American Foreign Policy (2001)

Quick Facts: Department of History

 --40% of our majors go into teaching. The other 60% pursue careers in law, tech, finance, public service, business, higher education, museum work, etc.

--History majors have the reading, writing, and critical thinking skills that employers seek

--Professor Tim Sistrunk (medieval, US environment) was awarded the first-ever Outstanding Lecturer Award on Dec. 2014

--Professor Kate Transchel (Eastern Europe, gender) was awarded Outstanding Faculty Advisor for 2014-2015.

--Students can join the History Club and/or Phi Alpha Theta, the History honor society

--For twenty-five years, History students have published in and edited The Chico Historian, our department journal

--In 2014 and 2015, Chico State History undergraduate and graduate students won several awards at the Northern California Regional Conference of Phi Alpha Theta, the History honor society

 -History faculty are also deeply involved in the Asian Studies, European Studies, Middle Eastern Studies, and Latin American Studies programs

Dept. Phone: 530-898-5366
http://www.csuchico.edu/hist/