Become a Resident Advisor (RA)
Become a Chico State Resident Advisor for the 2018-2019 Academic Year!
Resident Advisor Applications are Open November 1, 2017- December 8, 2017
University Housing is seeking talented and passionate leaders to join our Resident Advisor team! Could this be you?
Resident Advisors serve an integral role in building community and supporting overall student success. Whether it is through taking students to events, late night conversations, performing safety checks, or talking with a student who is struggling with classes; Resident Advisors are committed to creating a positive residential experience.
Resident Advisors also gain valuable skills in the areas of leadership, interpersonal interactions, and time management. The Resident Advisor position is also a nationally recognized leadership position that is a great addition to any resume.
So are you ready to be a leader in your community? If so, continue reading for more information. Best of luck with your application!
Resident Advisor Requirements
These are the requirements in order to become a Resident Advisor.
- Must be a full time enrolled student at Chico State during the term of employment.
- Must maintain a 2.5 semester and 2.5 cumulative GPA.
It is also important to note that University Housing will be taking into consideration the judicial history of all applicants.
You may become eligible to be on our alternate list.
Resident Advisor Time Commitment
Resident Advisors work 20 hours per week on average.
These hours include:
- Weekday on Call – 8 hours (one day per week)
- Building Community and creating/developing individual relationships with residents – 3.5 hours
- Residence Life Meetings – 2.5 hours
- Weekend On Call – (3-4 weekends per semester) 24 hours per month or 6 hours per week
Resident Advisors are also required to return early from breaks for mandatory training or to open the community.
This includes returning early from:
- Summer Break (Late July/Early August, 2-3 weeks before the start of the semester)
- Fall Break
- Winter Break (Mid-January, 1 week before the start of the semester)
- Spring Break
Resident Advisors are also expected to aid in closing the communities.
Each Resident Advisor will receive the following compensation:
- A Single Room
- A Full Meal Plan
- Early Class Registration
University Housing will be hosting four information sessions. Interested applicants are strongly encouraged to attend an information session for additional information regarding the responsibilities of the Resident Advisor position.
Information Sessions will provide you with:
- Additional information about the Resident Advisor position.
- Give you the opportunity to mingle with current Resident Advisors and Residential Life Staff.
- Resume feedback! Bring your resume if you would like Residential Life Staff to give you any feedback before you submit your Resident Advisor Application.
- Info Session # 1 Wednesday, October 25th at 8pm in the Smart Classroom (The Hub).
- Info Session # 2 Monday, November 6th at 8pm in the Konkow Embassy.
- Info Session # 3 Monday, November 13th at 8pm in the University Village (UV) Programming Building.
- Info Session # 4 Tuesday, November 28th at 8pm in the CCLC (Meriam Library 172).
Don’t forget to bring a copy of your resume if you would like feedback from Residential Life Staff before submitting your application!
Resident Advisor Application
Applications will be open on November 1st and will be due by December 8th.
- Search Job Cat for the Resident Advisor 2018-2019 application.
- Complete the Resident Advisor Application and attach a current resume.
Qualified Candidates will then continue on in the application process.
- Participate in 3 of 4 Resident Advisor Applicant Workshops (see below).
- Participate in the individual interview process.
- Participate in the Resident Advisor Applicant Group Process.
- Decision will be made and letters will be sent to Wildcat email on Saturday, March 17, 2018.
Resident Advisor Applicant Workshops:
- Workshop 1:
- Tuesday, February 6th at 8pm in the University Village (UV) Programming Building.
- Wednesday, February 7th at 8pm in the Smart Classroom (The Hub).
- Workshop 2:
- Tuesday, February 13th at 8pm in the University Village (UV) Programming Building.
- Wednesday, February 14th at 8pm in the Smart Classroom (The Hub).
- Workshop 3:
- Tuesday, February 20th at 8pm in the University Village (UV) Programming Building.
- Wednesday, February 21st at 8pm in the Smart Classroom (The Hub).
- Workshop 4:
- Tuesday, February 27th at 8pm in the University Village (UV) Programming Building.
- Wednesday, February 28th at 8pm in the Smart Classroom (The Hub).
Resident Advisor Interviews:
- Individual interviews will take place of Friday, March 2, 2018.
- Once University Housing receives a completed application information on scheduling your interview will be sent to your Wildcat email in February 2018.
Resident Advisor Applicant Group Process:
- Group Process will be held on Saturday, March 3, 2018.
- This is an opportunity for University Housing to evaluate your critical thinking skills and witness you in a group dynamic.
- Once University Housing receives a completed application more information on Group Process will be sent to your Wildcat email in February 2018.
Don’t forget, to be extRAordinary you must apply by Friday December 8th!
Revisit this page in in Spring 2018 for more updated information.
Application for Fall 2018 Will Open November 30th
Calendar Of Events
For a list of Univeristy Housing Events for the academic school year, click HERE.
Learn about life in the residence halls.