Enrollment & Eligibility
To be eligible for medical coverage:
- An employee must be appointed at least half-time (equivalent to 7.5 Weighted Teaching Units for academic year appointments) for more than six months, or:
- If employed in a R03 Lecturer or Coach Academic Year position, employee must be appointed for at least six (6) weighted teaching units for at least one semester, or two or more consecutive quarter terms.
- Qualifying appointments may be either permanent or temporary.
- Effective January 1, 2015, the Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires the CSU to offer health coverage to employees (and any eligible dependents) that work 130 hours (or 0.75 timebase) or more per month. The ACA guidelines provide for health coverage or FlexCash only. ACA does not provide dental or vision plan coverage.
- New hire appointments that are deemed not eligible at the time of appointment will be reviewed on an annual basis. The employee will be contacted if eligible.
Once an employee has acquired eligibility and has enrolled in a plan, he/she may continue enrollment during subsequent continuous appointments of at least half-time regardless of the duration of new appointment.
Eligible employees must enroll in a medical plan within sixty (60) days of employment, or reemployment if there has been a break of service of more than thirty (30) days. The standard effective date for coverage is the first of the month following the receipt of a signed enrollment document in the Benefits unit.