Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA)Updated 1/31/2013...Mandatory Reporting
To All CSU, Chico Employees:
Pursuant to a recently amended state law called the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act, on December 21, 2012, Executive Order 1083 was issued and became effective on January 1, 2013. This change in the law was adopted by the state legislature in Sacramento, and requires CSU employees to report suspected incidents of child abuse or neglect. Executive Order 1083 affects all employees and was reviewed with all Unions by the Chancellor’s Office before it was published.
Below is a summary of the executive order. The executive order is available for downloading at http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-1083.pdf.
Highlights of Executive Order 1083 (Mandatory Reporting of Child Abuse and Neglect):
- All CSU employees are designated mandated reporters of child abuse or neglect.
- As a designated mandated reporter, whenever an employee, in his/her professional capacity or within the course of his/her employment, has knowledge of or reasonably suspects child abuse or neglect has occurred, the employee must report the incident.
- Via this email, you are provided a link to Penal Code sections 11165.7, 11166, and 11167 for you to view.
- A Report of suspected child abuse must be made to University Police immediately or as soon as practically possible. The University Police can be reached at (530) 898-5555.
- After making the report to campus police, employees must complete and submit Department of Justice form SS 8572 (Attachment D of Executive Order 1083) to University Police within 36 hours of coming into information regarding the incident of suspected abuse or neglect.
- Mandatory Training on the Child Abuse and Neglect Act will be provided to all employees at a later date. At such time, you will be required to complete and submit a “Certificate of Training Completion” to the Human Resources Service Center.
- The Mandated Reporting Coordinator, Dylan Saake, is available to assist employees in identifying whether there is a reasonable suspicion that abuse has occurred and how to report it, and provide appropriate resources. He can be reached through the Human Resources Services Center at (530) 898-6771.
Please read the Executive Order and Attachments by clicking on the links below:
- CSU Mandatory Reporting of Child Abuse and Neglect - Executive Order 1083 (PDF)
- Attachment A - Acknowledgement of Mandated Reporter Status and Legal Duty to Report Child Abuse and Neglect (PDF)
- Attachment B - Certificate of Training Completion (PDF)
- Attachment C - Copy of Penal Code §§ 11165.7, 11166 and 11167 (PDF)
- Attachment D - Form SS 8572, Suspected Child Abuse Report form (PDF)
Shortly, you will be receiving an email from “Human Resources” with a PDF attachment. Please open and print the form. The attachment will be individualized with your name and employee ID in the signature section.
In Accordance with Executive Order 1083, the “Acknowledgement of Mandated reporter Status and Legal Duty to Report Child Abuse and Neglect” must be signed by all CSU, Chico employees and the original must be sent to the Human Resources Service Center no later than February 8, 2013.
Please recognize that this law and obligation of employment is placed on you by the legislature in Sacramento as a condition of being a CSU employee. If you have any questions, please contact the Human Resources Services Center at (530) 898-6771. Mandatory Reporting of Child Abuse and Neglect information is also available online.
Campus Mandated Reporting Coordinator
Director of Labor Relations & Compliance
Human Resources Service Center