Student Employment Process Flow Improvement Project
Student employees hired into Student Assistant positions represent one of the largest employee groups on campus and include between 1,300 and 1,800 employees. The process for hiring, appointing, making changes to the appointment, and ending the appointment is detailed and includes many steps and multiple handoffs between responsible parties. The current process utilizes paper passed between multiple groups across campus and relies on manual data entry, validation and auditing to ensure rules are enforced.
The end goal is to develop and implement a paperless, electronic workflow process that leverages existing PeopleSoft data, utilizes business logic to enforce requirements, and assists hiring departments in managing their student employee records.
The project will be completed in multiple phases.
The needs analysis for this project is underway and includes a comprehensive review of the student employment process from beginning to end. Each step and requirement has been documented and included on a process map. Throughout the project this process flow will be analyzed and adjusted as needed to optimize process flow and ensure all requirements are met.
Implementation will begin July 1, 2014 to include initial preparation steps needed to transform the process and to ensure policy requirements are met. Activities included in this initial phase are:
- Student Employee Hiring Process steps:
- Training and communication to Student Payroll Attendance Clerks
- Updated SEA form –
- Required entry of Jobcat number for new hires
- Identify that the individual being appointed has Live Scan clearance, if applicable
- Hiring only positions where pay is anticipated within the next 3 months
- JobCat to reflect when a Live Scan is required on the posting for the position by August 1, 2014.
- Live Scan policy enforcement.
- Per CSU Policy 8030.00, Information Security Policy, Section 200, "Campuses must develop procedures to conduct background checks on positions involving access to level 1 information assets as defined in the CSU Data Classification Standard."
- Student Employee Reports To maintenance project begins