Health and Insurance

Medical Concerns

The Student Health Center provides free medical services to students who are not feeling well. For the Health Center to be able to serve you best, please bring copies of your medical and immunization records with you, so they will have a clear understanding of your medical history.

You are required to have proof of a vaccination against mumps, measles, rubella (MMR) and a recent tuberculin skin test that shows negative for tuberculosis (TB) within the last 30 days.  If you do not have these records at orientation, you will need to visit the Student Health Center during orientation to receive the MMR vaccination and a tuberculin (Quantiferon) test.  The MMR vaccination will cost approximately $60.00, and the tuberculin (Quantiferon) test will cost approximately $50.00.

If you are 18 years of age or younger on the first day of the semester you must also present proof of immunization against Hepatitis B or complete the series of injections after your arrival. There is a fee for this injection series.

Health Insurance

International Students are required to have a health insurance policy because health care in the U.S. is very expensive. A simple doctor’s visit can cost more than $100. Surgery or other major medical procedures usually cost thousands of dollars. Even medicines are much more expensive in the U.S. than in other foreign countries.

While the doctors and nurses at the Student Health Center can help with simple conditions, it is essential for students to have health insurance to cover the costs of medicines and major illness. For this reason, health and accident insurance coverage is a state requirement for all students on F and J visas. Failure to comply places a registration and services hold on your permanent record. This prevents you from enrolling in your second semester classes and from receiving other university services.

Your insurance policy must have these areas of minimum coverage:

$50,000 accident or illness

$10,000 medical evacuation

$7,500 repatriation and return of mortal remains

If you purchase a policy in your home country be sure to bring proof of this coverage in English to submit to the International Student Advisors for review and approval. A health insurance policy is available for purchase through the University Health Center. It can be purchased during the Orientation for approximately $960 for one year.

Emergency Phone Numbers:

Emergency Number (Police, Fire, Ambulance): 911

Student Health Center (Warner Street): 898-5241

Enloe Hospital (West 5th Avenue and Esplanade): 891-7300