Insurance, Health, Immunizations, and Emergency Telephone Numbers

Mandatory Health Insurance

You are required by California State University to have adequate medical, medical evacuation, and repatriation insurance coverage by the start of your program at CSU, Chico and at all times thereafter while you hold an F-1 or J-1 visa*  For J-1 visa holders, failure to purchase such insurance is a violation of your immigration status and may result in the cancellation of your DS-2019 form and your disenrollment from the University.

Gallagher Student Insurance (GSI) is the policy which CSU, Chico recommends for our students.  GSI meets the coverage requirements set forth by California State University.  To purchase GSI, go to  Select the plan that provides coverage for the entire semester you are at CSU, Chico.

Please note this is an accident and sickness policy and does not provide coverage for routine check-ups, pre-existing conditions, expenses payable by any automobile insurance policy, injuries sustained while participating in club, intramural or intercollegiate sports or injuries resulting from travel in or use of any off-road motorized vehicle.  This is not a complete list of exclusions.  Before purchasing GSI, students are strongly encourage to review the Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan Brochure in its entirety, including any and all exclusions and coverage limitations.

If you choose to purchase an insurance policy which covers more than the minimum requirements provided by the GSI policy, you must get approval from the Office of International Education BEFORE you make your purchase.  If the insurance policy or the company ratings do not meet our minimum standards, the policy will not be accepted.

Minimum Coverage Amounts and Insurance Company Rating:

  • Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
  • Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000
  • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.

Any insurance policy secured to meet these requirements must be underwritten by an insurance corporation with an A.M. Best rating of "A-" or above, and Insurance Solvency International, Ltd. (ISI) rating of "A-1" or above, a Standard and Poor's Claims paying Ability rating of "A-" or above, or a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of "B+" or above.

*Students with government scholarships do not need to purchase GSI. Insurance is a part of your scholarship award.

Medical Concerns and Access to Care

The CSU, Chico Student Health Center (SHC) provides free medical services to students.  For the SHC to best serve you, please bring copies of your medical and immunization records with you so they have a clear understanding of your medical history.

Mandatory Immunizations and Tests

You are required to show proof of immunization against Measles and Rubella (MMR).  Additionally, you must demonstrate that you are negative for Tuberculosis (TB).  You may bring proof of your negative TB test to orientation, provided the test has been performed within 90 days of orientation and is written in English.  Turn these documents in to the Student Health Center during your orientation on campus.

If you do not have these records at orientation, you will need to visit the SHC during orientation week to receive the required immunization or test. The MMR vaccination costs approximately $60.00; the TB test costs approximately $55.00.

If you are under 19 years of age as of the first day of the semester, you must also present proof of immunizations against Hepatitis B or complete the series of injections after you arrive.  There is a fee for this injection series.

Emergency Phone Numbers:

Emergency Number (Police, Fire, Ambulance): 911

CSU, Chico Student Health Center (Warner Street): 898-5241

Enloe Medical Center (West 5th Avenue and Esplanade): 891-7300

University Police (West 2nd Street and Chestnut): 898-5555