Liberal Studies Online
The Liberal Studies Online Option is a degree completion program for students who plan on teaching elementary school or desire a brad-based degree. Upon completion of our program you will have a Bachelor of Arts degree. If you plan on teaching you will need to enter a credential program before you are ready to teach. At this time Chico State does not offer an online credential program.
The General Education requirements for the Liberal Studies major are unique in order to meet California State Content Standards for K-8 Teachers. By completing the Liberal Studies major, students also satisfy General Education requirements. GE courses taken at other institutions may not meet Liberal Studies major requirements. All lower division courses and some upper division courses must be completed by taking approved equivalents at a community college or four-year institution. Check with a Liberal Studies advisor to determine which courses can be accepted.
Online students interested in the Liberal Arts Option will also complete the Liberal Studies specific General Education course work at a community college and take upper division course work online at CSU, Chico. In place of education related upper division courses, students may choose one of two minors available online - Career and Life Planning or Sociology.
Useful Online Specific Links:
- Online Admissions
- Online Advising
- Assist: Check to see of your community college classes meet major requirements,
- Distance Education Schedule course listings by semester at CSU, Chico.
- Online MAP (PDF): Recommended course sequence and schedule of course offerings.
- Acceptable Community College Substitutions (PDF): A list of classes from North State community colleges that fulfill lower division major requirements.
- California Virtual Campus: Online course offerings at California community colleges.