The Liberal Studies Online Option is a degree completion program for students who plan on teaching elementary school or desire a broad-based degree. Upon completion of our program you will have a Bachelor of Arts. If you plan on teaching you will need to enter a credential program before you are ready to teach. At this time Chico State does not offer an online credential program.
The general education requirements for the liberal studies major are unique in order to meet state content standard for K – 8 teachers. By completing the liberal studies major, students also satisfy general education requirements. GE courses taken at other institutions may not meet liberal studies major requirements. All lower division courses and some upper division courses must be completed by taking equivalents at a community college or four-year institution. Check with a liberal studies advisor to determine which courses can be accepted.
Online students interested in the Liberal Arts (Non-teaching) option, will also complete the LBST specific general education course work at a community college and take upper division coursework online at CSU, Chico. In place of education related upper division courses, you may choose one of two minors available online – career and life planning or sociology.
Online specific links:
- Online Admissions
- Online Advising
- Assist : Check to see if your community college classes meet major requirements
- Distance Education Schedule Course listings by semester at CSU, Chico
- Acceptable Community College Substitutions (PDF): A list of classes from North State community colleges that fulfill lower division major requirements
- California Virtual Campus: Online class offerings at California community colleges
- Career Center
- Financial Aid
- Graduation Information
- Libraries & Research
- Regional & Continuing Education site
- Regional & Continuing Education course schedule page
- School of Education
- Student Organizations
- Student Records and Registration