first known as the Library, was designed by Chester Cole, a Chico
architect, and was completed in 1933. It was the third of the
buildings designed to replace the Normal School
building which burned in 1927.
It is a brick
building in Romanesque design with a square bell tower on the
south side. The front of the building faces towards the creek.
It was planned to hold the library and class rooms. When the new
library was built in 1959, it was converted to the Campus Activities
Center and housed student government offices, lounges, and a bookstore.
Since the 1970's it has housed faculty offices and a museum/art
gallery. The name was changed to Trinity Hall in 1972.
were first installed in 1937 to ring the quarter hour and play
concerts - especially at Christmas time. New chimes were purchased
in memory of former college president Glen Kendall and installed
on his retirement in 1966.
Albert E. Warrens Reception Center
|The reception center, located at
341 Mansion Avenue on the north edge of the campus, was formerly
the presidential mansion for university presidents. It is also occasionally
referred to as the Julia Morgan house. Julia Morgan, who created
more than 700 structures including the Hearst Castle at San Simeon,
designed this Classical Revival home, built in 1923 for Chico physician
Daniel H. Moulton and his family. She also worked on several others
The two-story structure served as the Moulton residence
until October 1945. The California legislature approved funds
effective September 15, 1945, to purchase the property, which
cost $25,750.00. Dr. Aymer J. Hamilton and his family were the
first presidential family to occupy the resident. The Kendalls
installed most of the visible landscaping during the 1950s while
Dr. Kendall was President of Chico State College.
The mansion received a substantial remodel prior
to the occupancy of the Robert Hill family in 1966. The last presidential
family to occupy the mansion, the Robin Wilsons, left in 1993
when Dr. Wilson's presidency ended. During the occupancy by presidential
families, the upstairs served as living space while the downstairs
provided a space for official school receptions and ceremonies.
The mansion, in a state of bad repair, remained
closed after the Wilsons left until a major restoration project
began in spring 2000. Costing approximately $700,000.00, the work
restored the facility to near original condition and added elements
to accommodate large groups. Heating, cooling, and accessibility
were upgraded. Restrooms were added, others modernized, and the
kitchen changed from a home kitchen to a catering kitchen designed
to meet the new purposes of the building.
The facility dedication took place on April 23,
2001. The new name honors Dr. Albert Edward (Ed) Warrens, a longtime
Chico pathologist. He was a longtime supporter and benefactor
of CSU, Chico along with his wife, Marilyn, who arranged and supervised
Regional & Continuing Education
| This building began as the third
heating facility built on Chico State's campus. In response to the
increase in college enrollment after World War II, Chico State began
a new phase of building construction. The new buildings increased
the need for such utilities as heating systems. Built by B and R
Construction Company of San Francisco, the approximately 8,000 square
foot heating building contained an office, a bathroom, and two steam
boilers. Designed by a state architect, the facility used a brick
exterior to match the original buildings on campus. Completed in
June of 1949, the heating facility was used for twenty-three years.
In the mid 1970s, the building was remodeled for
office space. A new heating and cooling facility built in 1972
made the boiler plant obsolete. The university's Center for Regional
and Continuing Education moved into the building after renovation
in the early 1990s and is still there today.
| Built in 1949, the facility replaced
the old campus laboratory school. Designed by a state architect,
the new building totaled nearly 37,000 square feet. The laboratory
school housed an elementary school and the university's elementary
education program. The school was used to teach university students
in elementary education and provided children, grades kindergarten
through six, with an elementary education. The department of education
used the building until it was remodeled in the early 1970s.
Aymer Jay Hamilton
served as the tenth president of Chico State. His service, from
1931 to 1950, was the longest of any Chico State president.
| Completed in 1956, Shurmer Gym
replaced the old 1927 gym that stood where Modoc Hall is now located.
The new building design that totaled more than 24,000 square feet
included a gymnasium, locker room, classroom and offices. As the
athletics department grew, this building was constructed as the
men's facility, while the women continued to use the old gym. Art
Acker began to expand the department further and made Shurmer Gym
coed in 1963. During this time the old gym was torn down and the
Acker Gym was built for men's athletics. Shurmer Gym was dedicated
in honor of Jane Wells Shurmer in 1976.
From 1938 to 1968, Jane Wells Shurmer was on the
Physical Education faculty. She helped develop women's athletics
at Chico State, including women's field hockey, basketball, softball
and swimming. Shurmer was inducted into the Chico Sports Hall
of Fame in 1973, demonstrating the positive and lasting impact
that she had on Chico athletics.