University Logo
Campus Buildings
 
Butte Hall
Butte Hall
Butte Hall. Photo courtesy of CSU, Chico IMC.
Named for Butte County, Butte Hall cost three million dollars to build and was completed in 1972. Architect Crawford and Banning of San Rafael designed the seven-story building to hold 3,000 students and 110 faculty offices. The contracting firm Robert G. Fisher Company of Fresno constructed the building, which is the second tallest on campus with nearly 89,000 square feet of space. When completed, Butte Hall housed nine departments, anthropology labs, a geography map room and a computer center. Interestingly, grass was planted around the building after its completion, and people walked through the grass, creating natural pathways. The paths of dead grass were then paved over to create permanent pathways.
 
Plumas Hall
Plumas Hall
Plumas Hall. Photo courtesy of CSU, Chico IMC.
Completed in 1972, Plumas Hall was part of the growth of the campus between the late 1960s and the early 1970s. Architectural firm Theodore Osmundson and Associates of San Francisco designed the facility that includes over 64,000 square feet. The building is named for Plumas County. Originally the building was designed for the applied arts departments. Currently, Plumas Hall houses the agricultural department, The Orion, and other program offices.
 
Holt Hall
Holt Hall
Holt Hall. Photo courtesy of CSU, Chico IMC.
As part of a peak in building construction from the mid 1960s to the early 1970s, a new life sciences complex was constructed. The five million dollar project began in late 1969 and was built in three sections over a period of time. The 62,401 square foot building was designed with three stories of faculty offices, classrooms, lecture rooms, and laboratories. A herbarium, a temperature controlled room, was included in the design so that plant specimens could be dried and mounted for further study.

With a capacity for 370 students, the building included a 170-seat lecture hall, which was the biggest on campus at the time. The architect for the project was John Carl Warnecke and Associates of San Francisco, and the contractor was Continental Heller Corporation. Faculty member William L. Stephens helped plan the life science facility. To make room for the new building, Sowilleno Avenue was removed and replaced with foot and bike paths between the creek and the construction area. Completed in 1972, the building was dedicated as Vesta Holt Hall in 1974.

Vesta Holt served as a Chico State faculty member from 1926 to 1957. She became head of the Biology Department in 1931 and later the chair of the Division of Natural Sciences. Holt published various guides and manuals for biology education, many focusing on her specialty of botany. The first paid sabbatical for a Chico State faculty member was given to Holt in 1953. She founded Omicron Theta Epsilon in 1927 and also created the Eagle Lake Biological Station. Shortly after her death in 1970, the life sciences complex was dedicated in her honor.

 
Sierra Hall
  Originally a residence, the house is now used as office space for Chico State. Noted as a fine example of Pierre Style architecture in Chico, the house was built in 1926. The home was constructed for William B. Dean, Pacific Cost manager of the Diamond Match Company until 1937. The university acquired the 4,000 square foot house in the early 1970s and renamed it for Sierra County. The house is currently being used as office space.
 
Sapp Hall (Alumni House)
Sapp Hall
Sapp Hall. Photo courtesy of CSU, Chico IMC.
Built in 1884 by Dr. C. C. Mason, this house has had ties to the university from the beginning. On the corner of Normal Street and Third Street, Dr. Mason built a residence in the fashionable Italianate style. Mason was a Chico Normal School committee member, as was Timothy H. Barnard. Barnard bought the home in 1891, after Mason's death. Serving seven years as a trustee for the school, Barnard was also a Civil War veteran, a state assemblyman and the owner of Barnard Livery Company. In the early 1910s, Barnard remodeled the Italianate house with the addition of such Classical Revival elements as the column and portico in order to keep up with the current fashions in architecture.

In 1947, Jesse and Mavis Todd Brown bought the house. Mavis Brown was a professor of art at Chico State. She occasionally had gatherings of faculty and alumni at her house. The university began to lease the house in 1987. The house became the Chico State Alumni Building after the alumni association purchased it in November of 1989. On October 17, 1992 the building was dedicated as Ella Caroline Sapp Hall and the interior was renovated for office space.

A graduate of Chico Normal School, Sapp was an influential educator in the local community. Sapp taught a Central and Rosedale Schools and was principal at Shasta Union School. After forty-three years as an educator, Sapp retired in 1962.

This 6,200 square foot house has been known as the Barnard House, the Mavis Todd Brown House, the Chico State Alumni Building and is currently known as Sapp Hall.

 
Tehama Hall
Tehama Hall
Tehama Hall. Photo courtesy of CSU, Chico IMC.
Completed in 1992, Tehama Hall was built at the same time as the O'Connell Technology Center. Both buildings use the same type of brick exterior. Designed by Natch and Lewis Architects of Sacramento, the building is over 90,000 square feet. The facility was named for Tehama County. Numerous departments are housed in Tehama Hall, including Business, Communications, Journalism, and Recreation and Parks Management.
 
O'Connell Technology Center
O'Connell Technology Center
O'Connell Technology Center. Photo courtesy of CSU, Chico IMC.
Completed in 1992 to house the College of Engineering, Computer Science and Technology, the construction of this facility is a reflection of the increasing influence technology has on our society. A state architect designed the nearly 75,000 square foot facility. Contractor Allen L. Bender Incorporated of Sacramento worked on the four-story building that includes classrooms, faculty offices, and computer labs. Funds for construction came from proposition 78, which passed in 1988.

Dedicated on October 10, 1992, the building was named in honor of John F. O'Connell. As a Chico State student from 1933 to 1937, O'Connell was a star football player and also student body president. During World War II, O'Connell began work for Bechtel Corporation, an engineering and construction company with worldwide influence. In the 1970s, he became president of the company and acquired political influence with governors, cabinet members and presidents. O'Connell served on the board of trustees and was the first trustee to represent the alumni. He also chaired the California State University Board of Trustees from 1981 until his death on July 2, 1984.

Back to Campus Buildings Index
Univ. Home | ReSEARCH Station | Special Collections | University Archives | E-mail

Written and compiled by Mary Ellen Bailey
This document is maintained by:
lwebmaster@csuchico.edu

meriam library | information resources | csu,chico