University Archives Logo
Chico State Teacher's College (1922-1935)
 
Date
Event
  Bidwell Mansion
Bidwell Mansion, ca.1900


Gymnasium
Gymnasium, ca.1930


Cornerstone of new administration building
Laying cornerstone of new administration building,

Administration building
Administration building,
1922 Chico State Teacher's College added a junior college curriculum and awarded a certificate after two years.
1922 Bidwell Mansion was purchased by the state and opened as Bidwell Hall, a dormitory for 46 girls.
1923 The Collegian, the first campus newspaper, was published.
1924 State Board of Education gave the college power to grant the baccalaureate degree based on four years of work.
1924 The wildcat was adopted as team mascot.
1925 The alumni organization was founded.
1926 The first Teachers' Institute was held on the Chico campus for elementary and high school teachers in northern California. The week long conference provided an opportunity for teachers to get advanced training and classes taught by college faculty.
1927 Fire destroyed the Normal Building, August 12, 1927.
1927 A new gymnasium was built on the grounds of the Bidwell Mansion. It contained a standard size basketball court, dressing rooms and showers, storage facilities and a room for the band.
1927 Agricultural training for teachers began.
1927 Executive Board established by constitution for the student body.
1928 First Homecoming Day celebrated. Attended by 100 alumni.
1929 New cornerstone was laid over the original cornerstone of the Normal Building as the construction of the new administration building began. Ceremonies were conducted by Chico Masonic Lodge #111. March 8, 1929.
1929 Student bookstore established.
1930 President Osenbaugh died.
1931 Vice President C.K. Studley was acting president in January.
1931 Rudolph D. Lindquist was appointed president in February .
1931 Lindquist resigned in June and left the campus at the end of August.
1931 Aymer J. Hamilton was appointed president in September.
1935 Bidwell Hall was changed from a dormitory to a student lounge and recreation area - the first real approach to a student union.
1935 A legislative act changed the college name from Chico State Teachers College to Chico State College.
(1936-1972)
Univ. Home | ReSEARCH Station | Special Collections | University Archives | E-mail

Written and compiled by Mary Ellen Bailey
This document is maintained by:
lwebmaster@csuchico.edu

meriam library | information resources | csu,chico