FAQs First Semester

Your First Semester


When will I need to begin my preparatory courses?

  • See Early Start.  Most students will need to begin preparatory courses in the summer prior to their first semester.
  • Students in need of preparatory courses are required to enroll in Early Start classes to advance either to the next level of preparatory courses or to advance to GE math in the first fall semester.

Can I take the ELM to improve my placement?

  • Effective August 31, 2017, the ELM is no longer being offered.

How do I get out of remediation?

  • You can clear your ELM status by passing the required courses during your first year at Chico State.  Once you have done so, your ELM service indicator will be removed and you will be eligible to enroll in college level math courses.

What if I don't register for a developmental math course?

  • Enrollment in developmental math courses is mandatory.  Failure to register will result in force enrollment by the Developmental Math Coordinator.  It's better if you choose the section that best fits your schedule.

What if I want to switch sections of my developmental math course?

  • Dropping and swapping can only be done by the Developmental Math Coordinator.  Please go to the Math Department office for assistance in Holt 181.

I'm trying to withdraw from the university, but can't drop my developmental math course.  Help!

  • Please contact the Developmental Math Coordinator for Assistance.

How long will I be in preparatory math courses?

  • All remediation must be completed within the first year.  Once you have completed the requirement, your ELM status will be updated.

Where do I go to get help with math?

  • Go to the Math Learning Lab for free help from trained, faculty-recommended peer tutors.