UPDATE: Classes suspended until Nov. 26. Campus is safe, closed through Nov. 23. More information...
Department of Mathematics and Statistics

Frequently Asked Questions

Developmental Math

What is a developmental math course?

  • Developmental math courses are preparatory courses for college level math courses and do not count towards the baccalaureate degree.  The do, however, count towards a student's total enrollment unites for the semester.

What is a service indicator?

  • You will see an ELM service indicator in your Student Services Center under HOLDS.  It says, "Entry Level Math," but will not prevent registration.  It will be removed once the ELM requirement has been met.

Who needs to take developmental math?

  • Updated guidelines from the CSU will be published soon for fall 2018.

First Semester

When will I need to begin my preparatory courses?

  • See Early Start.  Most students will need to begin preparatory courses in the summer prior to their first semester.
  • Students in need of preparatory courses are required to enroll in Early Start classes to advance either to the next level of preparatory courses or to advance to GE math in the first fall semester.

Can I take the ELM to improve my placement?

  • Effective August 31, 2017, the ELM is no longer being offered.

How do I get out of remediation?

  • You can clear your ELM status by passing the required courses during your first year at Chico State.  Once you have done so, your ELM service indicator will be removed and you will be eligible to enroll in college level math courses.

What if I don't register for a developmental math course?

  • Enrollment in developmental math courses is mandatory.  Failure to register will result in force enrollment by the Developmental Math Coordinator.  It's better if you choose the section that best fits your schedule.

What if I want to switch sections of my developmental math course?

  • Dropping and swapping can only be done by the Developmental Math Coordinator.  Please go to the Math Department office for assistance in Holt 181.

I'm trying to withdraw from the university, but can't drop my developmental math course.  Help!

  • Please contact the Developmental Math Coordinator for Assistance.

How long will I be in preparatory math courses?

  • All remediation must be completed within the first year.  Once you have completed the requirement, your ELM status will be updated.

Where do I go to get help with math?

  • Go to the Math Learning Lab for free help from trained, faculty-recommended peer tutors.

Second Semester

What course can I take for my second semester?

  • If you have not yet met the ELM requirement, register in the next course in your sequence.
    • MATH 011:  Take MATH 012
    • MATH 031:  Take MATH 051
  • If you have passed intermediate algebra and, therefore, met the ELM requirement, you may enroll in the GE math for your major.

What if I did not pass my fall semester class?

  • You must repeat the course.
    • MATH 011 and 031: Take MATH 031
    • MATH 032 and 051:  Take MATH 051

Enrollment Beyond the First Year

What if I haven't met the ELM requirement by the end of my second semester?

  • You will need first need to provide proof that you are enrolled in a course at a community college that will complete the ELM requirement by the July deadline and then provide proof of passing by the August deadline to be eligible for reinstatement.  Detailed instructions will be provided by the Developmental Math Coordinator and are posted here.

  • If you do not meet the requirement by the end of summer, you will be administratively academically disqualified and may not return to the university until the ELM requirement has been met.  Students who are absent from the university for more than one semester must reapply to the university and meet all transfer student requirements for readmission.

  • Academic disqualification is a separate issue.  If you are also academically disqualified, you will also have to satisfy those requirements.