Music Department Mission, Goals, & Program Objectives
Mission of the Department of Music:
- Provide education of the highest quality to undergraduate majors and minors, graduate students, general studies students, and students in other majors needing specialized music experiences ("service" courses);
- Maintain an intellectual cultural and physical environment which enhances appreciation and understanding of the world's diverse musical heritage and to foster creative contributions to that heritage, both vocational and avocational;
- Provide resources and support for the professional growth of faculty, staff, and students in research, performance, composition, music technologies, and the sharing of talents and knowledge;
- Address the educational, cultural, and social needs of the service area through public performances, workshops, clinics, and seminars given by faculty, students, and guest artists.
Goals of the Department of Music:
- Continue the range of high quality degrees and options presently offered: BA in Music with Options in Music Education, General Music, Music Composition, and Performance; BA in Music Industry & Technology with Options in Recording Arts and Music Industry. We will implement a new Option in Jazz Studies under the BA in Music.
- Maintain current General Education offerings. In addition we will look to expand our General Education offerings.
- Seek ways to improve teaching and the learning environment in all department activities.
- Recruit new faculty dedicated to excellence in teaching.
- Find ways to give music faculty increased opportunities to grow as researchers and creative artists.
- Seek ways to combine traditional music instructional programs with other disciplines.
- Enhance efforts at community building within the department.
- Recruit actively to bring a balance of talented students to the department in terms of the several options, performance media, and ethnic diversity.
BA in Music
The mission for the BA in Music is to provide a high quality musical education and experience.
Program Goals and Objectives
- Students will be able to demonstrate performance skills on their primary instrument/voice, as a soloist and/or as part of an ensemble
- Students will be able to discriminate, aurally identify, visually identify, and evaluate the structures of music
- Students will be able to apply knowledge of the historical foundations to the description, performance, and analysis of music from various stylistic periods
- Students will be able to demonstrate knowledge and comprehension of the role and value of music in human culture including the music of diverse cultures
BA in Music Industry & Technology
The mission for the BA in Music Industry & Technology is to educate the future leaders of the music industry.
Program Goals and Objectives
- Students will be able to discriminate between, aurally identify, visually identify, and evaluate the structures of music.
- Students will have a historical foundation of music from various stylistic periods – past to present.
- Students will have a knowledge and comprehension of the science of sound and the technology of capturing and reproducing sound.
- Students will have a knowledge and comprehension of music business including copyright, publishing, and record company structure.
- Students will have a knowledge and comprehension of rudiments, standards, processes, and procedures representative of known industry practices.