The Department of Music offers over $50,000 in scholarships to students in its majors, including general music, music education, music industry and technology, and recording arts.
How to Apply for a Music ScholarshipStudents applying for a music scholarship must:
- Meet all university admission standards
- Apply for a University Scholarship
- Apply for a Music Department scholarship
- Many music scholarships are performance scholarships and require an audition
- Complete the CSU, Chico scholarship application.
- A verification of having completed the university scholarship will need to be submitted in order to audition for music scholarships – no verification, no audition!
- Complete the Music Scholarship for continuing students or for new/transfer students
- The deadline for continuing students is October 8, 2010
- The deadline for new/transfer students is January
Music Scholarship Auditions
- Auditions for continuing students is Saturday, October 16, 2010 (this is the only time continuing students may audition for 2011-2012 scholarships). See your studio instructor or ensemble director if you have a conflict with this date. REMEMBER to bring verification of having completed the university scholarship application.
- New students may also audition on October 16 otherwise, new/transfer student auditions will be Saturday, January 29, 2011.
- You should submit a University Scholarship regardless of your major. Applications will be reviewed for ALL university scholarships available to eligible students across campus.
- Be sure to fill out all sections of the applications.
- Remember to submit Letters of Recommendation
- Since many of our awards and scholarships require the FAFSA, remember to fill out the FAFSA, even if you think you do not qualify
- University Scholarship application for new/transfer students is due the 15th of December, every year. Continuing students must submit their university scholarship application at the time Music Department scholarship applications are due.
- For new/transfer students, Music Scholarship applications are due every January
- Friday, October 8, 2010 – Music Scholarship and University Scholarship applications are due for continuing students
- Saturday, October 16, 2010 – Scholarship auditions for continuing students (new/transfer students may also audition at this time)
- Wednesday, December 15, 2010 – University Scholarship applications due for new/transfer students
- January – Music Scholarship applications are due for new/transfer students
- Saturday, January 29, 2011 – Scholarship auditions for new/transfer students
Audition Procedure for All Scholarship Applicants
- Applicants must complete both a University Scholarship application and Music Department Scholarship application prior to the scheduled October scholarship auditions.
- Auditions are limited to 10 minutes.
- Select repertoire that demonstrates both technical and lyrical performance abilities.
- You may provide your own accompanist, or we can provide one for you, but only if we receive your piano music two weeks before the audition date.
We prefer live auditions, but if you cannot come to campus, you may send an audition tape.
Have questions? Contact Joe Alexander, Chair of Scholarship Committee
(530) 898-5334 —firstname.lastname@example.org