Important Dates and Times - Fall 2012
Welcome to California State University, Chico and the Department of Music! We are very excited to have you become part of our dynamic Department and wish you great success. There are some very important events/dates that we want to bring to your attention.
Thursday, August 23
- Piano/Keyboard Proficiency Exam*
- 9:00am - Noon - PAC 244
- Theory Placement Exam*
- 1:00pm - 3:00pm - TBD
- Aural Skills Exam*
- 3:00pm - 4:00pm - PAC 112
- Studio Instruction Auditions
- 11:00am - 1:00pm - PAC 132
- 11:00am - 1:00pm - PAC 134
- 9:00am - 11:00am - PAC 132
- 4:00Pm - 5:00pm - PAC 132
Thursday, August 23
- Music Industry and Technology Majors: Pre-Recording Arts & Music Industry options
- 9:00am - 10:00am - PAC 134
REQUIRED New Music Major Meeting
Friday, August 24
- 10:00am - 11:00am - PAC 132
* Note: You are required to take the theory, aural skills, and piano proficiency exam unless you plan to take Music 101, Music 103, and Music 105. These exams are for evaluation and course placement purposes for those with experience.
SIGN UP SHEETS will be posted in the Music Department Office (PAC 106). Please stop by, or call the department office if you are out of town, to sign up for an exam/audition/ interview time. Make sure you have made the appropriate meeting appointments.
Ensemble auditions will be held during the week prior to the beginning of the semester and the first week of classes. Check with the appropriate ensemble director and/or the Music Department Office for scheduled times.
Advising is critically important to your college career. The Department of Music has mandatory advising for all music majors. Mandatory advising helps us make your academic career a successful one by guiding you through your Major Plan each semester.
Here’s how it works: each semester we do group advising, by your Major & Option. This advising session takes place three weeks prior to the opening of the next semester’s registration. Any student that does not receive advising will have a hold placed on their record and you will not be able to register for classes. To lift the hold you will need to meet with your advisor. The Faculty Advisors are:
General Music (depending on focus):
- Prof. David Dvorin - Composition
- Dr. Natalya Shkoda - Piano
- Dr. Hope Munro Smith - General Music, Music History, Ethnomusicology
- Prof. Rocky Winslow - Instrumental Performance, Jazz
Music Industry & Recording Arts: Prof. Keith Seppanen
Required Computer Purchase
All Music Majors are required an Apple Laptop Bundle purchase. There are two different bundles: one for the BA in Music and Music Industry majors and the other for Recording Arts majors and students emphasizing Composition. The software that is bundled with the computers will be used right away in music theory and aural musicianship classes. The Recording Arts has been requiring the computer bundle for the past three years and has shown great pedagogical advantages.
To view the details of the computer bundle click here. The bundle configuration is now available through the AS Bookstore.
All orders must be received by August 6th, 2012. After August 6th, pricing and availability cannot be guaranteed. A minimum $200 nonrefundable deposit will be required when placing your order.
For more information please contact the AS Bookstore:
Phone: (530) 898-4447 Toll-Free: (866) 282-8422
If you have any questions relating to Chico State and the Music program, please call Cherie Walker, Music Department Administrative Staff (530) 898-5152 — and she will be happy to help you. Again, welcome to Chico State.
Enjoy the rest of the summer and we look forward to a great 2011-2012 academic year.