The Theatre Department holds several auditions throughout the year to cast our productions and provide feedback to our students. Auditions are open to all CSU, Chico students as well as Chico community members. Theatre and musical theatre majors are always given first consideration according to the needs of the student and of each individual production. Audition sign-up sheets will be posted in the green room in the Performing Arts Center during week before school starts in August and January (check board frequently).
All theatre and musical theatre MAJORS are required to audition for the semester's productions at the beginning of both fall and spring semesters. The spring audition is a juried audition for which theatre and musical theatre majors are provided written feedback by the faculty. Theatre majors who intend to participate exclusively in the areas of stage management and/or tech/design will do a portfolio presentation/interview in March. If you wish to be considered for the spring musical, you must participate in the juried dance auditions which occur during the January auditions.
California State University, Chico considers e-mail to be the essential method for communicating official University business with students. Each student is provided with a campus Wildcat Mail account. Review the contents of your Wildcat Mail account on a frequent and regular basis. Official notifications from the University related to enrollment, academic status, fees, holds, and financial aid will only be sent to your Wildcat Mail account. If you do not want to examine your Wildcat Mail account on a regular basis, you can adjust that account to forward messages to another frequently checked e-mail address.
Spring Juried Auditions: 2013
Sunday, January 27, 2013
- 1:00-5:00 pm - Acting/Singing auditions for MUTA majors only
- 7:00-10:00 pm - Dance Juries (7-9 Choreography taught; 9-10 showings)
Monday, January 28, 2013
- 6:00-8:30 pm - Acting/Singing auditions for minors, general CSUC and community members (8-8:30 for Music Man Barbershop quartet)
- 8:00-10:00 pm - Call Backs begin for 12 Ophelias
- Tuesday, January 29, 2013 (8:00-10:00 pm) and Wednesday, January 30, 2013 (7:00-10:00 pm) as called by the individual directors with requirements posted by the directors.
Cast lists for semester posted by 5:00 pm, Friday, February 1, 2013.
Acting and Singing Audition
Continuing theatre and musical theatre majors prepare one of the following standard, memorized audition packages, not to exceed three minutes:
- Two contrasting monologues or
- One monologue and one contrasting song or
- Two contrasting monologues plus your "best 16 bars" of a song.
Entering freshmen and new transfer majors, theatre and musical theatre dance minors, general CSU, Chico students, and area community members have the option to
- prepare an audition package as described above or
- prepare a single monologue or song or
- read from a script provided at the audition.
Accompaniment is provided. Bring sheet music in your key, clearly marked.
It is important for registered students to continually monitor their Chico State WildCat email accounts for advising assignments and announcements sent from the department office. Students can check their advisor assignment posted in the Green Room, or they can also call the department office at 530-898-5152.