For Scholarship Audition/Portfolio information, please go here.
The Theatre Department holds several auditions throughout the year to cast our productions and provide feedback to our students. Auditions are open to all CSU, Chico students as well as Chico community members. Theatre and musical theatre majors are always given first consideration according to the needs of the student and of each individual production. Audition sign-up sheets will be posted in the green room in the Performing Arts Center during week before school starts in August and January (check board frequently).
All theatre and musical theatre MAJORS are required to audition for the semester's productions at the beginning of both fall and spring semesters. The spring audition is a juried audition for which theatre and musical theatre majors are provided written feedback by the faculty. Theatre majors who intend to participate exclusively in the areas of stage management and/or tech/design will do a portfolio presentation/interview in March. If you wish to be considered for the spring musical, you must participate in the juried dance auditions which occur during the January auditions.
California State University, Chico considers e-mail to be the essential method for communicating official University business with students. Each student is provided with a campus Wildcat Mail account. Review the contents of your Wildcat Mail account on a frequent and regular basis. Official notifications from the University related to enrollment, academic status, fees, holds, and financial aid will only be sent to your Wildcat Mail account. If you do not want to examine your Wildcat Mail account on a regular basis, you can adjust that account to forward messages to another frequently checked e-mail address.
Fall 2015 Auditions:
Sign-ups for auditions will be in the Green Room starting Friday, August 21.
- Sunday, August 23 - 6:00-9:00pm:Regular auditions for Musical Theatre and Theatre majors.
- Monday, August 24 - 6:00-8:00pm: Auditions for Theatre and Musical Theatre Freshman, new transfer students & minors, general CSUC students, and community members
Callbacks - (Specifics for each show will be posted when callback lists are posted)
- Monday, August 24: Possibly 8:00-10:00pm
- Tuesday, August 25, 6:00-10:00pm
- Wednesday, August 26: 6:00-10:00pm
- Thursday, August 27: 6:00-10:00pm
Contact Bill Johnson for more information (PAC 213 / email@example.com / 530-898-4607)
For the dance auditions:
- Remember to:
- wear clothes you can move in (layers are good)
- bring dance sneakers or jazz shoes and tap shoes (if you own some)
- leave the jewelry at home
- wear hair up and out of your face
- Warm-up for all dance auditioners will begin at 7pm on the Harlen Adams stage.
- Auditioners will learn 3 phrases in 3 styles(tap, modern/character, and jazz) taught by 3 different choreographers in rotating spaces from 7:30-9:00pm.
- From 9:00-10:00pm, auditioners will perform the 3 phrases for the faculty in PAC 134 in groups of 4. Each group will perform all 3 styles, then be excused.
Other Audition Information:
The gathering place to receive instructions from the stage managers is in the Green Room. Please show up well in advance of your group's call time so you can complete the audition paperwork. Callbacks for these shows are posted in the mornings for that evening. Cast lists are posted by the end of the first week of school. Rehearsals for CREATION STORIES will begin right away. SPAMALOT! will start rehearsals later in the semester.Make sure you read the casting policy before you audition.
Please remember, if you want to be considered for the musical, you need to participate in the Dance Auditions and include a short song in your acting audition.
It is important for registered students to continually monitor their Chico State WildCat email accounts for advising assignments and announcements sent from the department office. Students can check their advisor assignment posted in the Green Room, or they can also call the department office at 530-898-5152.