The Theatre Department holds several auditions throughout the year to cast our productions and provide feedback to our students. Auditions are open to all CSU, Chico students as well as Chico community members. Theatre and musical theatre majors are always given first consideration according to the needs of the student and of each individual production. Audition sign-up sheets will be posted in the green room in the Performing Arts Center during August 19-23, 2013, and January 13-17, 2014 (check board frequently).
All theatre and musical theatre MAJORS are required to audition for the semester's productions at the beginning of both fall and spring semesters. The spring audition is a juried audition for which theatre and musical theatre majors are provided written feedback by the faculty. Theatre majors who intend to participate exclusively in the areas of stage management and/or tech/design will do a portfolio presentation/interview in March. If you wish to be considered for the spring musical, you must participate in the juried dance auditions which occur during the January auditions.
Fall 2013 Auditions:
Sunday, August 25, 2013
- 6:00-10:00 pm - Returning Theatre/Musical Theatre majors only
Monday, August 26, 2013
- 6:00-8:30 pm - Theatre/Musical Theatre Freshman and Transfer majors
- 8:00-10:00 pm - Minors/General CSU, Chico students /Community Members
Acting and Singing Audition
Continuing theatre and musical theatre majors prepare one of the following standard, memorized audition packages, not to exceed three minutes:
- Two contrasting monologues or
- One monologue and one contrasting song or
- Two contrasting monologues plus your "best 16 bars" of a song.
Entering freshmen and new transfer majors, theatre and musical theatre dance minors, general CSU, Chico students, and area community members have the option to
- prepare an audition package as described above or
- prepare a single monologue or song or
- read from a script provided at the audition.
Accompaniment is provided. Bring sheet music in your key, clearly marked.
It is important for registered students to continually monitor their Chico State WildCat email accounts for advising assignments and announcements sent from the department office. Students can check their advisor assignment posted in the Green Room, or they can also call the department office at 530-898-5152.