University Vision and Mission
The motto of California State University, Chico, "Today Decides Tomorrow," reminds us that actions we take today lead to the possibilities and parameters that define our future. Our attention to learning in its many forms in the present can create an open, expansive and inclusive future for us and for those we serve. The three simple words of our university motto, engraved in the lintel above the main door of Kendall Hall, our administration building, speak to the essential goal and purpose of all of education- to teach and to learn in a manner that focuses on creating a better future for all students, their families, and their communities.
California State University, Chico envisions itself as a place that can "stimulate intellectual rigor, moral development, and creative accomplishment to evoke callings to imaginative citizenship in the world beyond the university."
The university mission, and our first priority, is the education of our students through quality undergraduate and graduate programs. CSU, Chico works to be known for the purposeful integration of liberal and applied learning that provides our students with the knowledge, skills, and moral and intellectual virtues that form the basis for life-long learning and contribution. We affirm the importance of scholarship and public service. We support the exploration of the frontiers of knowledge, the integration of ideas, the connecting of thought to action, and the inspiring of students. The university maintains extensive continuing education and public service programs to serve the needs of our varied constituencies, and it makes the results of its academic efforts available for public scrutiny by all our constituents.
CSU, Chico measures progress toward its mission through five priorities:
- Believing in the primacy of student learning, we will continue to develop high quality learning environments both in and outside of the classroom.
- Believing in the importance of faculty and staff and their role in student success, we will continue to invest in faculty and staff development.
- Believing in the value of the wise use of new technologies in learning and teaching, we will continue to provide the technology, the related training, and the support needed to create and maintain high quality learning environments for learners.
- Believing in the value of service to others, we will continue to serve the educational, cultural, and economic needs of Northern California.
- Believing that we are accountable to the people of the State of California, we will continue to diversify our sources of revenue and manage the resources entrusted to us.