Looking for a News Release?
Find more news releases in the archive.
To search for a news release, use the Search CSU, Chico News function in the upper right corner of this page.
CSU, Chico Gears Up for Campus Sustainability Day
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
The Campus Sustainability Day information faire will take place on Wednesday, Oct. 20, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the University’s Trinity Commons lawn, formerly known as the Free Speech Area.
Most participants will be featuring large, engaging visual displays that will provide interactive education and awareness about the importance of sustainability. The event will also highlight what the campus is doing to advance its sustainable practices.
This day will also provide individuals with a chance to learn more about what they can do to contribute to the sustainability efforts.
Participating organizations include the following:
• Wildcat Recreation Center – Displaying the new electricity-generating elliptical machines that can be found in the WREC gym. Participants can try out the elliptical and find out how much energy is generated by these machines.
• Chico State Organic Dairy – Showcasing sample products, videos and promotional materials.
• CLIC – Promoting the “Right-to-Recycle” campaign with interactive games.
• Associated Students Bookstore – Featuring eco-friendly products and services, as well as an exciting, attention-grabbing game.
• Net Impact – Showcasing the Free-Re-Cycle item swap. Drop off whatever you want and take whatever you want. Past items included clothes, plates, cooking utensils, books, school supplies, wallets, prom dresses and picture frames.
• Associated Students Sustainability – Displaying a representation of the average students’ carbon footprint, water usage, CO2 emissions and how many earths it would take if everyone lived this way. The booth will have a laptop so students can calculate their own footprint.
• Take Back the Tap – Displaying how much oil it takes to manufacture plastic bottles.
In addition to the information faire, there will be a couple other events related to Campus Sustainability Day. CSU, Chico’s office of Regional and Continuing Education will host a nationwide webcast steaming live 10–11:30 a.m. Pacific Standard Time. David Gershon, author of the best-seller “Low Carbon Diet: A 30 Day Program to Lose 5,000 Pounds,” will share proven strategies and tools for carbon reduction. This webcast will be shown on the CSU, Chico campus in the Center for Continuing Education building, room 107. Faculty are encouraged to bring their classes, and the general public is also welcome to attend. For more information about the webcast, visit http://www.scup.org/page/profdev/webcast/2010/csd8/content.
The Wildcat Recreation Center will also be hosting a special event featuring the newly retrofitted ReRev elliptical exercise machines. Over the summer, 25 elliptical machines were retrofitted with technology that captures the kinetic energy generated during a user’s workout and feeds that energy back into the electrical grid. The “ReRev ReMix” event seeks to raise awareness of this student-driven project and will feature a live DJ on the cardio floor from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. on the evening of October 20.
For more information about the event, contact Robyn DiFalco, Associated Students sustainability coordinator, at 530-898-6677, or Samantha Krentz, campus Sustainability Day coordinator, at 916-223-6063.