Looking for a News Release?
Find more news releases in the archive.
To search for a news release, use the Search CSU, Chico News function in the upper right corner of this page.
Activities Planned for Gateway Science Museum Grand Opening
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
The Gateway Science Museum, dedicated to the exploration, discovery and celebration of Northern California, will open for customers at 10:30 a.m. Regular museum hours will be noon to 5 p.m. Wednesday – Friday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
The museum is located at 625 Esplanade at the east end of the CSU, Chico campus next to the Bidwell Mansion State Historic Park.
Among the exhibits featured at the museum is “Backyard Monsters: The World of Insects,” an interactive exhibit that includes 6-foot-tall animatronic insects and teaches about insects’ role in the environment.
Below is a schedule of events of tomorrow’s grand opening:
10 a.m. — Welcome and opening ceremony
10:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. — Museum is open to the public; activities for children inside and outside of the museum
11 a.m. to 3 p.m. — Science experiments in the Demonstration Lab
Noon to 4 p.m. — Live animals
11:30 a.m., 1 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. — Nature walks
Opening day exhibits and activities
• Backyard Monsters: The World of Insects
• Witness: Endangered Species of North America
• River Voices: The confluence of culture on the Sacramento River
• Face painting
• The Balloon Man
• Coloring tables
• Live animals
• Scientific specimens of the north state in the Discovery Room
• Origami and other kid-friendly activities in the Education Station
Nature walks: Take a guided tour of the five ecoregions surrounding the museum.
• Professor Jim Pushnik, graduate student Mike Jenkins, and undergraduate student Kate Blumfield of the Department of Biological Sciences will be in the Demonstration Lab conducting their research, “Investigating plants under stress.”
• They will have field equipment to show how they collect data; they will conduct a field demonstration at 2 p.m.
• Admission is $5 adults, $3 children, and free for museum members.
• Visit www.csuchico.edu/gateway for a complete schedule of events, activities and membership information.
For more information, contact Rachel Teasdale, acting executive director, Gateway Science Museum, 530-898-4121.