Looking for a News Release?
Find more news releases in the archive.
To search for a news release, use the Search CSU, Chico News function in the upper right corner of this page.
CSU, Chico Included in ‘Guide to 311 Green Colleges’
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
The Princeton Review is a standardized test preparation and admissions consulting firm that publishes guides to campuses for parents and prospective students. For three years, the review has been looking at sustainability as it pertains to colleges. The company partnered with the United States Green Building Council, a nonprofit organization best known for developing the LEED green building certification program, to evaluate colleges and universities on their environmentally-related policies, practices and academic offerings.
The criteria for ranking was based on survey results from the Princeton Review in the following areas:
- Local and organic food expenditures
- Alternative transportation programs
- Committees with student participation devoted to advancing sustainability on campus
- Requirement for new buildings to be certified LEED Silver
- The school's overall waste diversion rate
- Existence of environmental studies major, minor or concentration
- Environmental literacy requirement
- The existence of a publically available greenhouse gas emissions inventory and climate action plan
- Use of renewable sources of energy
CSU, Chico is one of five CSU campuses on the list, which includes 28 California schools. It has also been recognized in the last few years by the Daily Green website as one of the top ten green schools in the nation; it has landed in the top 35 on the Sierra Club’s Cool School list; and it has received national honors for sustainability and environmental programs from The New York Times and the National Wildlife Federation.