Looking for a News Release?
Find more news releases in the archive.
To search for a news release, use the Search CSU, Chico News function in the upper right corner of this page.
Construction Management Students Seeking 2013 Community Service Project
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Department of Construction Management
CSU, Chico students have established a winter break tradition of giving, spending months organizing and preparing for a week of service to the community during the last week of winter break in January. In 2006, 2007 and 2008, these projects were dedicated to the clearing of debris and the rebuilding of homes in New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. During 2008’s pilgrimage to New Orleans, 117 students rebuilt 14 homes.
In 2009, students brought the project home to Chico and responded to the needs of the fire survivors in the community of Concow devastated by firestorms during the summer of 2008. Winter breaks in 2010 and 2011 galvanized the Chico community as students constructed four transitional houses for Catalyst, which serves victims of domestic violence. Two houses were constructed in nine days during each winter break.
In March 2012, students once again traveled, this time to Joplin, Missouri, which had been devastated by May 22, 2011 tornado. They helped rebuild four structures in Joplin, and then returned to Chico, where they helped construct a visitor’s center for Patrick Rank Museum.
This year, we are once again soliciting projects from organizations within our region.
- Eligible not-for-profit organizations are those classified as charitable, educational or cultural.
- Funding for tools, equipment, materials and project supportive services can be included in the applicant’s project request. Fundraising requirements for project needs may be a deterrent to project selection, depending on the magnitude of requested funding.
- All requests will be considered.
- The CSU, Chico ECC Application for Community Service Projects form can be found on the ECC website at http://www.csuchico.edu/ecc/ or on the Department of Construction Management website at http://cm.csuchico.edu/.
- Be clear and specific in the application. E-mail the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Applications will be accepted through August 10, 2012.
- Winter Break 2013 project selection will be made on or before August 24, 2012. The time between the application submission deadline and selection date is provided to allow for time to visit sites and provide for additional review if necessary.
For additional information, contact one of the Department of Construction Management advisors, Professor Jim O’Bannon at 530-895-1300 or email@example.com, or Professor David Shirah at 530-682-0353 or firstname.lastname@example.org.