Looking for a News Release?
Find more news releases in the archive.
To search for a news release, use the Search CSU, Chico News function in the upper right corner of this page.
The Orion Wins Slew of Statewide College Media Awards
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Kacey Gardner, editorial assistant
Mark Plenke, advisor
Nine students traveled to San Jose State University April 19-20 for the California College Media Association (CCMA) conference, where they took home 13 awards for content created in 2012, under the helm of editors in chief Ally Dukkers (spring) and Kacey Gardner (fall). Mark Plenke is the advisor for The Orion.
A list of the Division B awards The Orion garnered at the CCMA convention follows:
- General Excellence (second place)
- Best Overall Design (third place)
- Best Black and White Ad—The Hunter—Tercius Bufete (first place)
- Best Color Ad—Let’s Talk Sex—Tercius Bufete (first place)
- Best News Photo—Grief— Liam Turner (first place)
- Best Feature Photo—Yo-Yo—Kevin Lee (first place)
- Best Infographic—Lindsay Smith (first place)
- Best Infographic—Lindsay Smith and Katrina Cameron (second place)
- Best Non-Breaking News Story—Quinn Western and Katrina Cameron (second place)
- Best News Page Design—Jenna Fujitsubo (second place)
- Best Headline Portfolio—Ben Mullin (third place)
- Best Cartoon—Liz Coffee (second place)
- Best Special Section (third place)
Junior Katrina Cameron also won a second place Region 11 Society of Professional Journalists Mark of Excellence award for her reporting in the fall semester about the police investigation into sexual assaults in Chico. Cameron and Quinn Western’s story on the suspension of the Greek system at CSU, Chico also won them first place for Best Writing in the California Newspaper Publishers Association Better Newspapers Contest. CSU, Chico graduate Isaac Brambila won first place for Best Sports Story in the same contest for a story on a Wildcat basketball player who has bipolar disorder.
Earlier in the semester, former Orion columnist Lexi Brister won first place for Best Sex Column in the national College Media Association Apple Awards in New York. The Orion ad staff also won second place for Best Ad in that contest.
The Orion, a laboratory newspaper of CSU, Chico’s nationally accredited journalism department, has won dozens of national, regional and state awards. The Orion was inducted into the Associated Collegiate Press Hall of Fame in 2005 for its record of achievement.