Looking for a News Release?
Find more news releases in the archive.
To search for a news release, use the Search CSU, Chico News function in the upper right corner of this page.
CSU, Chico Included in Princeton Review’s 2013 “Guide to 322 Green Colleges”
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Kacey Gardner, editorial assistant
Fletcher Alexander, sustainability coordinator
Institute for Sustainable Development
The Princeton Review is a standardized test preparation and admissions consulting firm that publishes guides to campuses for parents and prospective students. For five years, the review has been looking at sustainability as it pertains to colleges. The company partnered with the United States Green Building Council, a nonprofit organization best known for developing the LEED green building certification program, to evaluate colleges and universities on their environmental policies, practices and academic offerings.
The Princeton Review chose the 322 schools for this guide based on the “Green Rating” scores tallied for hundreds of schools in 2012 and reported in summer 2012 in school profiles on its website and in some of its college guidebooks. The Green Rating is a score from 60 to 99 that is tallied using data from a 50-question survey conducted among hundreds of school administrators each year. Of 806 schools the review reported Green Rating scores for in 2012, the 322 schools chosen for this guide earned scores of 83 or higher. The survey asked questions about the following:
- Local and organic food expenditures
- Alternative transportation programs
- Committees with student participation devoted to advancing sustainability on campus
- Requirement for new buildings to be certified LEED Silver
- The school's overall waste diversion rate
- Existence of environmental studies major, minor or concentration
- Environmental literacy requirement
- The existence of a publically available greenhouse gas emissions inventory and climate action plan
- Use of renewable sources of energy
- Existence of a full-time sustainability officer
CSU, Chico is one of eight CSU campuses on the list, which includes 29 California schools. The fourth annual guide is posted and downloadable for free at www.princetonreview.com/green-guide.