Mission, Goals, and Outcomes for Food and Nutrition Communication
Food and Nutrition Communication Option
The Mission of the Food and Nutrition Communication Option is to:
- Provide a broad educational background to develop competent and productive students that can apply their knowledge and communication skills for careers as nutrition educators or other nutrition-related careers.
- Prepare students to work with culturally diverse populations by engaging students in pre-professional food and nutrition communication related experiences that serve Northern California.
Goals and Outcomes
Goal 1: Provide pre-professional, practical training opportunities that benefit the students while serving the diverse Northern California community
- Outcome 1: At least 90% of students will complete a food and nutrition communication-related practicum or externship experience that serves the Northern California community prior to program completion.
- Outcome 2: At least 70% of students will report on their exit survey that they participated in a pre-professional organization (ie. NFSA, CNAP, SNE, National WIC Association, American Public Health Association, American College of Sports Medicine, International Society of Sports Nutrition).
Goal 2: Graduate diverse, competent, entry-level practitioners who obtain employment in nutrition education or other food and nutrition communication related fields.
- Outcome 1: Over a five-year period, 70% of externship supervisors report that student externs performed competently during their externship placement.
- Outcome 2: Over a five-year period, 60% of food and nutrition communication graduates report that they are employed in nutrition education or food and nutrition communication related field.
Goal 3: Use program resources in a sustainable manner while providing a quality educational experience.
- Outcome 1: Maintain a student-to-faculty ratio in NFSC courses that is consistent with the university ratio.
- Outcome 2: Courses will utilize technological resources in classroom management and learning activities in support of sustainable practices.