General Dietetics Information
You must complete the option in General Dietetics if you want to obtain the Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) credential
Registered Dietitians Nutritionists (RDNs) are food and nutrition experts who have met the following criteria to earn the RDN credential:
- Completed a minimum of a bachelor's degree at a U.S. regionally accredited university or college and course work approved by the Commission on Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND).
- Courses in THIS General Dietetics Option meet the requirements of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics for an accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD).
- Completed a post-baccalaureate ACEND accredited supervised practice program (Dietetic Internship).
- Pass a national registration exam.
The Commission on Dietetics Registration (CDR) has mandated that beginning January 1, 2024, a minimum of a graduate degree will be required to sit for the RDN credential exam.
- A supplemental Dietetics application must be submitted by March 1.
- A Dietetics application is available here.
- In addition to the application, students must provide:
- Transcripts of all previous college or university level work (copies ok)
- Two letters of recommendation on the Recommendation Form provided here. We will NOT accept letters of recommendation from Chico State NFSC tenure or tenure-track faculty (NFSC instructors are fine), family members, friends, or a co-worker (work supervisor is required).
- One-page written personal statement about your career goals
- A copy of your prerequisite GPA
- A course plan form
- Applications are reviewed by a committee which ranks all applications for placement. Admission to Dietetics Option Policies and Procedures are here.
Students not selected for the General Dietetics option are encouraged to meet with a NFSC faculty advisor. Students not selected may reapply one additional semester.
Prerequisites for Admission to the Option in General Dietetics
The cumulative grade point average for all college-level work must be a minimum of 2.75.
The following prerequisites must be completed with a grade of C or higher:
MATH 105, BIOL 104, BIOl 211, CHEM 107, CHEM 108, NFSC 340.
It is highly recommended that CHEM 350 be in progress or completed the semester students apply for admission to the option.
Note: Only current CSU Chico undergraduate nutrition majors may submit this application. If you are not currently a CSU Chico student and have a bachelors degree but would like to complete our General Dietetics program, you must apply to the graduate program.
Late Petition if submitting application after the March 1st deadlines
Please see your Academic Advisor for further assistance.