College of Natural Sciences 2016 Commencement Ceremony
Sunday, May 22, 2016
9:00 am, gates open at 7:30 am
*tickets required for entry
College of Natural Sciences
From the desk of Dean David Hassenzahl
Welcome to the College of Natural Sciences...
Today our world faces many challenges, from feeding a growing population to improving individual and public health to using energy more efficiently. Addressing these and many other societal challenges requires
- individuals with deep training in a range of scientific, mathematical, and health fields,
- individuals who are able to integrate our understanding across the sciences,
- individuals who can describe complex systems and predict how and why they will change,
- individuals who can collaborate with others to solve complicated, multidimensional problems,
- individuals who can effectively communicate and teach science, and
- individuals who, even if not deeply trained in science, understand how the scientific process works, and how science can inform decisions.
The College of Natural Sciences supports all of these needs, and we do it with a sense of wonder and excitement. To our students, faculty, staff, and partners, science is not a collection of facts, but an approach to understanding the world that allows us to think and decide well.
At the College of Natural Sciences, our students engage science in laboratories and the field. They work in teams to solve mathematical challenges, create new molecules, teach children how to play and eat well, and practice state-of-the art medical treatment. They collaborate with faculty and each other on research, and present their findings at national conferences.
The impact of this direct engagement is reflected in our graduates, who are highly competitive even before they leave campus, and highly successful throughout their careers. It is felt across the CSU Chico campus, where almost every student has taken at least one course in our college. It is found throughout California and beyond, where our graduates teach foundational science and mathematics in public and private schools.
Please explore our website to see our programs, departments, centers, and other facilities. And don't hesitate to reach out to our faculty members and student organizations, who are always glad to hear from you and look forward to working with you.
12th Annual College of Natural Sciences Poster Session
Tuesday, May 10, 2016
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Colusa Hall, room 100
Submission Deadline is
Tuesday, April 26 by 5:00 pm
Click here to register!