School of Nursing
The 60th anniversary of the School of Nursing/Kappa Omicron 25th Chapter Anniversary Celebration and Induction took place May 4–6, 2013, and was a huge success. It included a run/walk in support of Marcella Wagner (read more), (will link) which raised close to $7,500 for her ongoing care. Tours of the School of Nursing and Simulation Center; an alumni dinner; and an induction ceremony celebrating the 25th anniversary of the chartering of Kappa Omicron, our CSU, Chico chapter of Sigma Theta Tau, the International Honor Society of Nursing followed.
The Rural California Nursing Preceptorship Program continues to thrive. The program facilitated internship placements for almost 100 individuals in rural hospitals this past year, offering programs in intersession and in summer with 40 to 50 students and community registered nurses in each session.
The CSU, Chico California Nursing Students’ Association second annual Benefit Ball raised $2,184.83 for Skills Lab Renovation. Up until January 2013, the nursing skills lab (mock hospital setting where students practice basic skills) looked much the same as it did 30 years ago. It was very crowded, and equipment was dated. During January intersession, a wall was removed between two adjacent learning spaces in Holt Hall, and a new skills lab space was created that expanded the current square footage by 80 percent. In the spring, a similar renovation of the Media Lab took place, creating a wonderful new space for students.
(from left to right; Huston, Wei, Rowberg, Zingg and Harmsen)
Dr. Peggy Rowberg Named 2012–13 CSU Chico Outstanding Academic Advisor
The CSU, Chico Faculty Recognition and Support Committee selected School of Nursing Professor Margaret “Peggy” Rowberg to receive the 2012–13 Outstanding Academic Advisor Award. Professor Rowberg serves as the prenursing advisor for the School of Nursing, the Retention Coordinator for the School of Nursing, the faculty advisor for the Chico chapter of the California Nursing Students Association, the coordinator for the nursing students’ pinning ceremony, and informally as the mentor/career advisor to all prenursing students. She is also the current president of Kappa Omicron, the local chapter of the International Honor Society of Nursing.
Two new tenure track faculty were hired for the School of Nursing effective January 2013. Miriam Walter for fundamentals/medical‐surgical and Karin Lightfoot for community/public health.
In the News:
- Approximately 250 students are enrolled in BSN, RN-BSN, and MSN degree programs
- There are also an estimated 800 to1,000 prenursing students on campus.
- More than 270 applications were received for 40 spots in the fall 2013 nursing program.
- Licensing exam pass rate was 96 percent.
- We have clinical contracts with more than 160 agencies throughout the North State.
- School of Nursing Advisory Board meeting. Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2:30–4:30 p.m., Rural Northern California Clinical Simulation Center, 560 Cohasset Rd., Chico
- School of Nursing End of Program Pinning Ceremony. Friday, Dec. 20, 4–5:30 p.m., Laxson Auditorium