Floyd L. English Natural Sciences Scholarship
The generosity of Dr. Floyd L. English, alumnus of California State University, Chico, and the Andrew Foundation makes it possible to award ten to twenty scholarships to students majoring in programs in the College of Natural Sciences each year.
Scholarships may be awarded annually in amounts up to $5,000. Applications will be available and due in the fall and recipients will be notified by late spring.
Read more about Dr. English on the Distinguished Alumni page.
Scholarship Criteria and Selection Procedure
1. Recipient student must be an undergraduate in good academic standing currently enrolled or an incoming freshman or transfer student who has been accepted to California State University, Chico, and has declared a major in an academic area of the College of Natural Sciences. (If you hold a bachelor's degree, you are not eligible to apply.)
2. Recipient will be chosen on the basis of three letters of recommendation from high school advisors, current mathematics and/or science teachers, mentors, employers or business people, and a letter from the applicant. These letters should address academic achievement, financial need, involvement in student activities, creativity, leadership, community service, professional goals, personal qualities that indicate potential for success, and how this scholarship will make a difference.
3. The deciding criterion for the award is the student's potential for achievement in a profession that is science or mathematics based.
4. Renewal of multiple year scholarships requires the student to remain an undergraduate in good academic standing and be making adequate progress towards a degree in an academic area of the College of Natural Sciences. Graduate students are not eligible to receive an award and any recipient receiving an award who enters graduate school is no longer eligible for continued support.
5. Student recipients will receive one-half of their award in the fall semester and one-half in the spring semester.
How to Apply
Applications are now being accepted. Be sure to review the guidelines and fill out the application. Return completed applications to the College of Natural Sciences Office no later than 5:00 PM on Wednesday, December 15, 2010.