Floyd L. English Natural Sciences Scholarship
The generosity of Dr. Floyd L. English, alumnus of California State University, Chico, and the Andrew Foundation makes it possible to award ten to twenty scholarships to students majoring in programs in the College of Natural Sciences each year.
Scholarships may be awarded annually in amounts of $2,000 to $6,000.
Read more about Dr. English on the Distinguished Alumni page.
20 Years Celebrating the Floyd L. English Scholarship
The College of Natural Sciences celebrated 20 years of past recipient success stories and current scholarship recipients, at the 2014-2015 Floyd L. English Scholarship Reception. See the video below for highlights of the event.
Scholarship Criteria and Selection Procedure
1. Recipient student must be an undergraduate, in good academic standing, currently enrolled or an incoming freshman or transfer student who has been accepted to California State University, Chico, and has declared a major in an academic area of the College of Natural Sciences. (If you hold a bachelor's degree, you are not eligible to apply.)
2. Students must submit a completed application packet to be considered for this scholarship. The application packet must include:
- The Floyd L. English Scholarship Application form
- A one-page autobiography (atleast 200 words)
- A one-page letter discussing their personal and professional goals
- Three letters of recommendation from high school advisors, current mathematics and/or science teachers, mentors, employers or business people. These letters of recommendation should address academic achievement, financial need, involvement in student activities, creativity, leadership, community service, professional goals, personal qualities that indicate potential for success, and how this scholarship will make a difference.
3. The deciding criterion for the award is the student's potential for achievement in a profession that is science or mathematics based.
4. Renewal of multiple year scholarships requires the student to remain an undergraduate in good academic standing and be making adequate progress towards a degree in an academic area of the College of Natural Sciences. Graduate students are not eligible to receive an award and any recipient receiving an award who enters graduate school is no longer eligible for continued support.
5. Student recipients will receive one-half of their award in the fall semester and one-half in the spring semester.
How to Apply
Recipients of the Floyd L. English Natural Sciences Scholarship will be notified in April 2016.