School of Nursing - CSU, Chico
Office: Holt 355
Exploring the Galapagos Islands in 2002!
I teach maternal-child nursing at CSU, Chico. I love anything having to do with pregnant women, childbirth, newborns, and children. I have 17 years of hospital obstetrics experience- labor and delivery, post-partum, nursery, neonatal intensive care unit, and cross-trained in pediatrics. I have also taught many classes in the community about childbirth, parenting, child development, and prenatal alcohol and drug exposure. I am very enthusiastic about the nursing profession!
- Gardner, J. (2006). Genital Herpes: What You Need to Know. Nursing 2006, In Press.
- Gardner, J. (2006). Cystic Fibrosis. Nursing 2006, In Press.
- Gardner, J. (2005). Barriers Influencing the Success of Racial and Ethnic Minority Nursing Students. The Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 16 (2), 155-162.
- Gardner, J. (2005). Managing preeclampsia buys time for a safe delivery. Nursing 2005, 35 (3), 50-52.
- Gardner, J. (2005). Understanding Factors Influencing Foreign-Born Students
- Success in Nursing School : A Case Study of East Indian Nursing Students and Recommendations. The Journal of Cultural Diversity, 12 (1), 12-17.
- Gardner, J. (2005). A successful minority retention project. The Journal of Nursing Education, In Press.
- Gardner, J. (2000). Living with a child with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. MCN: The American Journal of Maternal/Child Nursing, 9, 252-257.
- Gardner, J. (2000). Acute pyelonephritis during pregnancy. The American Journal of Nursing, 3, 24-26.
- Gardner, J. (1997). Fetal Alcohol Syndrome- Recognition and Intervention. MCN: The American Journal of Maternal/Child Nursing, 11, 318-322.
- Gardner, J. (1997). Rattlesnake bite. Nursing 97, 6, 33.
- 2006 Sigma Theta Tau 17th International Nursing Research Congress Focusing on Evidence-Based practice: Advancing Knowledge, community and Evidence-Based Practice Globally through Collaboration, in Montreal, Canada. Title of Podium Presentation: It's Time to Get Out of the Classroom: An International Service-Learning Project for Nursing Students.
- 2006 Kappa Omicron's Spring General Meeting in Chico. Title of presentation: An Incredible Journey of the Mind, Body, and Spirit: An International Service-Learning Project.
- 2005 Kappa Omicron's Research, Best Practices, and Innovation: Striving for Excellence, in Chico, CA. Title of presentation: An International Service Project in Oaxaca, Mexico : Expecting the Unexpected.
- 2005 The 30th Annual Conference- Cultural Competence: A Journey to Improving Health Care for Hispanics, in Orlando Florida.
- Title of Poster Presentation: Increasing Cultural Competency in Nursing Students: An International Service Project in Oaxaca, Mexico.
- 2005 The 38th Annual Communicating Nursing Research Conference, 19 th Annual Western Institute of Nursing (WIN) Assembly in San Francisco. Title of Podium Presentation: A Successful Project for Increasing Minority Retention in Nursing School.
- 2004 Tenth International Qualitative Health Research Conference- Sponsored by the International Institute for Qualitative Methodology, Banff, Alberta, Canada. Title of podium presentation- In Their Own Words: The Experience of Being a Racial or Ethnic Minority Student in Nursing School.
- 2004 37th Annual Communicating Nursing Research Conference- Sponsored by the Western Institute of Nursing in Portland, Oregon. Title of podium presentation- Exploring Issues Related to Minority Student Retention in Nursing School.
- 2003 Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing- International Research Conference in Toronto, Canada. Title of podium presentation- The Lived Experience of Minority Nursing Students.
- 1999 Women's and Children's Health Issues: A Global Perspective. This international nursing conference was held in Maui, Hawaii. Research podium presentation: The Experience of Parenting a Child with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.
- 1999 Celebrating Nursing: Past, Present, Future- Kappa Omicron Research Day Presentation: Living with a Child with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.
- 1997 Western Institute of Nursing- 30th Annual Communicating Nursing Research Conference "Nursing: Changing the Environment". Poster presentation- Creating Collaberation through Interprofessional Education and Training. (Portland, OR)
- 1995 Western Institute of Nursing- 28th Annual Communicating Nursing Research Conference "Innovation and Collaboration: Responses to Health Care Needs." Poster presentation- The Effect of Prenatal Breastfeeding Education and Infant Development Education. (San Diego, CA)
- 1995 Application of Research to Practice- Research Day
- Presentation: The Effect of Prenatal Breastfeeding Education and Infant Development Education. (Chico, CA)
- May 2000 Sigma Theta Tau International- Honor Society of Nursing: Chapter Recognition Award for Outstanding Nurse Researcher.
In 2002, I experienced the Inca ruins in Ecuador!
I was director of the Chico Youth Workshop, using the performing arts to teach about the negative effects of alcohol, drug abuse, and racism
Happy and healthy children in Bali, 2003
*These office hours may change. Any changes will be posted on the faculty door and in the School of Nursing Office.