Adjunct Appointments at CSU, Chico
Executive Memorandum 86-005
From: Robin S. Wilson, President
Subject: Adjunct Appointments at CSU, Chico
The following policy concerning Adjunct Appointments was passed by the Faculty Senate, reviewed by the Provost, and is approved for implementation.
ADJUNCT APPOINTMENTS AT CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, CHICO
The term "adjunct appointment" may be applied to one of the following three conditions:
ADJUNCT ACADEMIC APPOINTMENTS OF FULL-TIME CSU, CHICO INSTRUCTIONAL FACULTY
Adjunct appointments for CSU, Chico full-time faculty are those made outside the recipient's primary unit of appointment. the unit of primary appointment is the faculty member's unit of layoff (MO, Section 38.7).
Adjunct appointees holding tenure-track or tenured faculty status will receive evaluation for retention, tenure, or promotion through their primary unit of appointment. Both the personnel committee or its equivalent and the chair of the host unit for adjunct appointments will provide evaluations of contributions made by the adjunct appointee. Documentation will be provided to the adjunct appointee's personnel file. The host unit will follow the evaluation procedure used for full-time temporary appointments as applicable.
Special personnel actions such as leave and merit awards will be through the college of the recipient's primary unit of appointment.
ADJUNCT ACADEMIC APPOINTMENT FOR NON-INSTRUCTIONAL CSU, CHICO PERSONNEL
Non-instructional CSU, Chico personnel may assume faculty responsibilities in an academic unit as a result of an adjunct appointment in an academic department or equivalent of this University. The unit of primary appointment is the individual's unit of layoff.
Personnel actions for those assigned to faculty responsibilities from non-instructional positions will be based upon the procedures appropriate to the primary appointment. Both the personnel committee and chair of the host academic unit for the adjunct appointment will conduct a performance evaluation of the appointee's contributions.
Special personnel actions such as leave and merit awards will be through the recipient's primary unit of appointment.
ADJUNCT APPOINTMENTS OF PERSONNEL FROM OUTSIDE CSU, CHICO
An academic unit may wish to grant adjunct status to a distinguished colleague from outside the University. Such appointments allow the recipient to be associated with the University for purposes of scholarly activities such as teaching, research, publications, and grant submission. The adjunct appointee may receive such benefits as office and research space, library privileges, and secretarial assistance.
- Term appointments will automatically terminate on schedule unless a request for extension is granted at the host unit level. Such requests will be forwarded to the dean or appropriate administrator by the host unit chair following consultation with the candidate, the personnel committee or its equivalent, and the unit faculty.
- Continuing appointments are subject to review at the request of the Provost, dean or appropriate administrator, the host unit chair, or the incumbent. The host unit personnel committee or its equivalent will forward review recommendations via the unit chair to the dean or appropriate administrator for transmittal to the Provost.
Adjunct appointments are available at all approved faculty staffing levels. Tenured or tenure-track faculty will be appointed at levels equal to the faculty rank held in their primary unit of appointment. Changes in level at the primary unit will result in concomitant adjustment of the adjunct appointment.
Adjunct appointments may be made for designated time periods or they may be continuing appointments.
- Require a formal evaluation of the candidate's professional credentials to be conducted by the personnel committee of the host unit. Recommendations become a part of the formal request forwarded to the dean or appropriate administrator for recommendation and forwarding to the Provost.
- Require that all candidates are advised that neither retreat rights nor tenure-related provisions accompany adjunct appointments.
- Require that all assignments following an appointment clearly delineate the nature of any assignment and the salary in the host unit.
- Require recommendation by the department chair or administrator of the unit where the appointee holds primary appointment. This recommendation is to be forwarded to the Provost as part of the formal request process. Upon receipt of all recommendations, the Provost will, with the President's approval, inform the college dean or appropriate administrator and the unit chair of the final decision. The dean or appropriate administrator will then notify the candidate of the appointment. The appointing letter will define issues of assignment, e.g., salary, fiscal support, and duties expected as conditions of the adjunct appointment.
In all instances, consideration of the request will:
- By an individual seeking appointment.
- On behalf of the candidate by the host unit.
- By administrative request.
Adjunct appointments may be made in departments or other authorized academic units. In no instance will retreat rights (layoff policy) be available to adjunct faculty members through the host administrative unit. The host unit is the unit making the adjunct appointment. Adjunct appointments are not mandatory but may be used by an academic unit when deemed appropriate by that unit.
Requests for an adjunct appointment may be initiated
- An academic appointment of CSU, Chico full-time faculty outside that recipient's primary unit of appointment.
- An academic appointment of CSU, Chico full-time non-instructional personnel.
- An appointment of personnel from outside CSU, Chico.