Revisions to EM 87-004, Policy Creating a University Budget Committee; Superceded by EM 05-017
Executive Memorandum 95-004
April 05, 1995
From: Manuel A. Esteban, President
On the recommendation of the Academic Senate and concurrence of the Provost, I approve implementation of Executive Memorandum 95-004, which establishes the University Budget Committee. This policy supersedes Executive Memorandum 87-004, which established the Academic Program and Budget Committee. This policy is effective immediately.UNIVERSITY BUDGET COMMITTEE
The charge to the Committee is to meet regularly to review the relationship of academic programs and campus budget; to provide timely participation by faculty and students in budget processes; to propose broad strategies for adjusting the academic programs and budget to one another; and to review the effects of their implementation before adoption by the University.
- The Chair of the Academic Senate or annual appointee.
- The Chair of the Faculty and Student Policies Committee of the Academic Senate.
- The Chair of the Educational Policies and Procedures Subcommittee of the Academic Senate.
- The Vice-Chair of the Academic Senate.
- The Immediate Past Chair of the Academic Senate.
- The Secretary of the Academic Senate.
- One at-large faculty member appointed by the Senate Executive Committee.
- The Statewide Academic Senator serving on the local senate executive committee.
- The University President.
- The Provost.
- The Vice President for Business and Administration.
- The Vice President for University Advancement and Student Affairs.
- An academic dean, chosen by the Dean's Council.
- Chair of the Staff Council or annual appointee.
- The President of the Associated Students.
- The Vice President for Finance of the Associated Students.
The Chair, Vice-Chair, and Secretary of the Academic Senate will serve those respective offices on the University Budget Committee.
Staff to the Committee
- Dean, Undergraduate Education
- Vice Provost, Human Resources
- Vice Provost, Operations
- Budget Officer
- To monitor and make recommendations on budget decisions during the decision-making process in accordance with the calendar of the university budget processes.
- To consult on an ad hoc basis with the Provost's office, the Fiscal Administration Committee, and university officers prior to budget decisions that will affect academic programs.
- To recommend changes in budget formulation and allocation procedures necessary to achieve the short- and long-term goals of the academic programs.
- To provide and to publish agendas and minutes of meetings on a regular basis and to provide analysis, evidentiary support, and recommendations on budget-related matters as needed to the campus community.
- The first committee meeting of each academic year will be called by the Chair of the Academic Senate during September.
- The orientation session will be conducted during September.
- The Provost, Vice President for Business and Administration, and other relevant officers will provide to the committee timely budget information necessary to the group's performance. (See Section VII)
- Committee deliberations, recommendations, and findings will be reported directly to the appropriate Vice President and the President.
- The Committee will report to the Academic Senate monthly and in special circumstances as may be deemed appropriate by the committee or the Senate.
At a minimum, the following materials will be regularly provided to the UBC:
DOCUMENTS - ORIGINATING OFFICE
Annual Plans of Academic Programs - Provost
Provost Office Agendas - Provost
Fiscal Administration Committee Agendas and Minutes - Vice President for Business and Administration
Deans' Task Force Reports - Provost
Chancellor's Office Budgetary Subcommittee Agendas and Reports - Appropriate Campus Administrator
Budget and Planning Options Originating in the Chancellor's Office - Appropriate Campus Administrator