Policy on Risk Management; Supersedes EM 00-052
Executive Memorandum 04-001
February 16, 2004
From: Paul J. Zingg, President
Subject: Policy on Risk Management; Supersedes EM 00-052
POLICY ON RISK MANAGEMENT
It is the policy of California State University, Chico to maintain a Risk Management Program that fully complies with CSU Executive Order 715, Risk Management Policy, and Executive Order 849, Insurance Requirements in Contracts, and to administer the program in a manner that strongly supports our mission and our priorities: primacy of student learning, the importance of faculty and staff, the value of the wise use of new technologies, the value of service to others, and our accountability to the people of the State of California.
Risk Management Program
The Risk Management Program shall describe the on-going methods that the campus uses to identify risks; to evaluate and prioritize those risks based on potential severity and likelihood; to select and implement the best risk management techniques for the identified risks; to evaluate potential losses and to identify funding options; and to monitor and evaluate the results of risk management actions.
The Program shall define the primary methods of transferring, preventing, or controlling risk from which the best approach to managing identified risks can be selected. The Program shall also define, in accordance with Executive Order 849, the procedures to be used for transferring risk in contracts, service agreements, and purchase/service orders.
The University Risk Manager shall bear primary responsibility for implementation and maintenance of the Risk Management Program. Program procedures are located in the Risk Management Policy and Procedures Manual.
Risk Management Advisory Board
The Risk Management Advisory Board shall serve as the principal advisory body to the President and Cabinet on risk management issues. Functions of the Board shall include the following:
- Assist in the implementation and maintenance of the campus Risk Management Program;
- Conduct an annual review of the Risk Management Policy and Program and initiate any changes to ensure that both are current with CSU policy; and
- Prepare and submit to the President and Cabinet a report on risk management issues, including campus compliance with the Risk Management Program and results of risk management activities, by May 31st of each year.
Membership of the Risk Management Advisory Board:
- Associated Students, Risk Manager
- Environmental Health and Safety, Director
- Facilities Management and Services, Director
- Human Resources, Vice Provost or designee
- Provost or designee
- Student Activities, Associate Vice President
- University and Research Foundations, Risk Manager
- University Housing and Food Service, Director
- University Police Department, Chief
- University Risk Manager