Policy on Faculty Recognition and Support Committee
Executive Memorandum 05-006 Revised; Supercedes EM 99-013
October 22, 2009
From: Paul J. Zingg
Subject: Policy on Faculty Recognition and Support Committee; Revised October 22, 2009; Supercedes EM 99-013
Upon recommendation of the Academic Senate and the Provost, I approve Executive Memorandum 05-006, revisions to the Policy on Faculty Recognition and Support Committee, for immediate implementation.
FACULTY RECOGNITION AND SUPPORT COMMITTEE
Upon the recommendation of the Academic Senate, the Faculty Recognition and Support Committee (FRAS) is constituted.
The purpose of the Faculty Recognition and Support Committee is to honor and support the faculty of California State University, Chico for their excellence and achievements in teaching, scholarly, creative, and research activities and in their contributions to the university community.
To review, formulate, and recommend policy that will maintain, enhance, and recognize the professional achievements, teaching excellence, and service contributions of the CSU, Chico faculty. Policy and program recommendations will be forwarded to the Academic Senate Executive Committee.
To establish appropriate procedures and criteria for and to select the honorees of the following:
- Outstanding Professor Award
- Outstanding Teacher Award
- Outstanding Faculty Service Award
- Outstanding Academic Adviser Award. The recognition program is designed to honor those who have consistently demonstrated their dedication and skill in service to their advisees. In addition to this campus recognition, the name of the Outstanding Academic Adviser Award recipient will be forwarded as the CSU, Chico nominee for the Outstanding Adviser Award sponsored by the National Academic Advising Association (NACADA).
- Outstanding Research Mentor Award
- Professional Achievement Awards
- Other campus-wide awards that are referred to it by the President after consultation with the Executive Committee of the Academic Senate.
Using policy designated by the Chancellor's Office, make recommendations to the President related to potential CSU, Chico Honorary Degree recipients.
To establish appropriate evaluation criteria and procedures and to make nominations to the Vice Provost for Research or designee for the following:
- National Endowment for the Humanities Summer Stipend Program: From a review of concept papers, faculty are selected to submit proposals for the NEH Summer Stipend Program.
- Faculty Professional Development Grants for Assistant and Associate Professors: Funded by the Chancellor's Office, these grants support proposals to enhance tenure and promotion opportunities.
To administer awards and recognition from sources outside the CSU System, including development of procedure and criteria, solicitation of nominees or applications, selection of recipients, announcement (together with the President) of award recipients, and any other necessary functions. Such administration of awards will take place only when the outside source requests administrative assistance from the University or
- Declares the University or any of its representatives to be responsible for the determination of award recipients and
- The award is determined by the Faculty Recognition and Support Committee, in consultation with the Provost, to be worthy of CSU, Chico participation.
FRAS is a permanent committee as authorized by, and specified in, Article VI, Section 2 of the Constitution of the Academic Senate, CSU, Chico.
FRAS reports to the Faculty and Student Policies committee of the Academic Senate.
- Fourteen faculty: two representatives from each of the six larger colleges (BSS, BUS, CME, ECST, HFA, and NS); one representative from each of the two smaller units (AG and Information Resources). Faculty are appointed by the Academic Senate Executive Committee, in consultation with the Provost. Terms of appointment: two years (overlapping appointments).
- The immediate past winners of the Outstanding Professor, Outstanding Teacher, Outstanding Faculty Service, Outstanding Academic Adviser, and Outstanding Research Mentor awards, each for a one-year term. These positions are in addition to the above prescribed members from the awardees' colleges.
- One emeritus faculty member appointed by the Academic Senate Executive Committee upon nomination by the Emeritus and Retired Faculty Association of CSU, Chico, in consultation with the Provost. Term of appointment: one year.
- One student, appointed by the Associated Students. Term of appointment: one year.
- One non-voting administrative representative, appointed by the Provost.
The Executive Committee of the Academic Senate will appoint the chair from the faculty appointees. FRAS will develop its own operating procedures. The agenda will be set by the chair.
Appointments will be made by the end of the spring semester and the first meeting held during the first two weeks of the following fall semester so that the Committee may set the academic year's agenda and have subcommittees in place by the end of the second week of the fall semester.
FRAS will present an annual report of committee activities to the Academic Senate.